Home Assistant

Our resident dev experts very own corner of the forum. A place to find Mintys mods and workloads.
Nom
Known User

Re: Home Assistant

Post by Nom »

Hmr81 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:03 pm
tbh really all i want is a irrigation and the run off removal part of automation. its simple enough, but im just lazy lol
I've been using a 20L water container for nutes with a tap on, drain some into a jug and pour it through not automatic i know. I sit the pot on top of an underbed storage unit with holes in the lid to catch the run off. When the tub is full i have a pump installed inside which lives there with some tube coming out with a tap on the end. Once a week i pump it out and lob it in the water but outside. This gives me run to waste. You could mod it to work like a wilma easily but I don't. When I go away i sling another pump in the nute tank with some tube and a few drippers coming off, still run to waste. I just make sure the drain tank has more capacity than the feed tank, but I've never had a leak or the syphon effect as i make a lil syphon valve to put a bit of air in the line when the pump turns off. Take you about 30 mins or less to make mate and costs peanuts to build, stop being so lazy :lol:

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Hmr81 wrote:
tbh really all i want is a irrigation and the run off removal part of automation. its simple enough, but im just lazy lol
Look into the rhizopot systems, i just use the drainage bit and feed by hand but the thing is brilliant, collects all the runoff till it reaches a certain level then pumps it out to a location of your choice, mine pumps into 25L barrels which i then use in the garden. Works perfect and saves me lots of trouble

Drip rings and things like that just clog up and fail so personally i try avoid all that sort of stuff

Those wifi plugs arent good to he left connected to wifi networks, most of them are chinese and are insecure, also the apps are collecting data for the Chinese government, best avoiding them in my eyes
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
Hmr81 (Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:50 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Hmr81

Post by Hmr81 »

@Vador i'll have a look at it mate.
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Hmr81 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:52 pm
You can buy all the parts separately as well so if you only wanted the trays and pipework then you could save some money, tbh the brain you could build yourself but it is a good bit of kit.
It’s basically just a bucket that everything flows into, theres a float valve and a pump in there, when the level reaches a certain height the pump kicks in and drains the level back down, dead simple. If you need any links for bits or anything let me know

ncrypta.core
Known User

Post by ncrypta.core »

Hmr81 wrote:
the other option you have that to a rhizopot systems is a simple Condensate pump as would do the same job just smaller profile and cheaper but it all depends your needs as i'm on a drain table so the low profile pump is ideal

examples
https://www.thehydrobros.com/products/s ... -tank-pump

Where the salts go, the water will follow

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Vador wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:08 pm
Hmr81 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:52 pm
You can buy all the parts separately as well so if you only wanted the trays and pipework then you could save some money, tbh the brain you could build yourself but it is a good bit of kit.
It’s basically just a bucket that everything flows into, theres a float valve and a pump in there, when the level reaches a certain height the pump kicks in and drains the level back down, dead simple. If you need any links for bits or anything let me know
I've got one of these sitting up in the attic, tbh I agree the brain would be very easy to make as its just a pump with a cheap float switch trigger. Big diameter pipe made me slice my finger open lol

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

ncrypta.core wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:23 pm

the other option you have that to a rhizopot systems is a simple Condensate pump as would do the same job just smaller profile and cheaper but it all depends your needs as i'm on a drain table so the low profile pump is ideal

examples
https://www.thehydrobros.com/products/s ... -tank-pump

That looks like a nice little system, although the narrow pipe will be more prone to clogging than the rhizo system. I find all sorts floating around in the brain on mine, from coco to pebbles, they have all floated down them pipes, i have to keep the float clean with a toothbrush now and then or it gets bits in and can jam up.
Also id worry that if the pump clogged it wouldn’t take long to overflow and flood the floor with that system, it works wonders on clean water but whats it like with coco water?
Nom wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:25 pm

I've got one of these sitting up in the attic, tbh I agree the brain would be very easy to make as its just a pump with a cheap float switch trigger. Big diameter pipe made me slice my finger open lol
Ooh nasty, that pipe is tricky to work with isnt it, id leave it soaking in kettle water before i do anything with that stuff.
You dont use your rhizo system then?

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Vador wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 pm
Ooh nasty, that pipe is tricky to work with isnt it, id leave it soaking in kettle water before i do anything with that stuff.
Yeh I always let it sit in hot water first before pushing it onto anything, nearly took the top of me knuckle clean off just cutting it to length. Nope I haven't used it in ages as I don't really have the space for an external res or drain at the moment, but I wouldn't hesitate to dig it back out if I did. In all honesty I've been toying with the idea of a bubbler for ages but keep talking myself out of it for a variety of reasons
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
Vador (Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:53 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Nom wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:30 am
Vador wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 pm
Yeh I always let it sit in hot water first before pushing it onto anything, nearly took the top of me knuckle clean off just cutting it to length. Nope I haven't used it in ages as I don't really have the space for an external res or drain at the moment, but I wouldn't hesitate to dig it back out if I did. In all honesty I've been toying with the idea of a bubbler for ages but keep talking myself out of it for a variety of reasons
Get yourself down the builders/plumbers merchants and grab some of them JG speedfit cutters. :oik!:

(and a pair of work gloves too, you clumsy buggers)

:running-around:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post:
Vador (Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:53 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

I like to live life on the edge @Marcus, plus im a tight arse
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
Marcus (Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:06 pm)

Return to “Mintys Nerdy Corner”