Fresh Worm Castings

GHO is a supplier of organic soil amendments and stimulants.

Re: Fresh Worm Castings

Post by Guest »

Wayne36 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:28 pm
Ok might be a stupid question but what is all the hope about worm castings ? And what is it there poop ? I know worms help and are healthy for your garden just dont know to much about the hope for doing growing them in abundance for your plants ?
worm castings are usually produced using compost worms. You refer ( I suspect?) to earth worms. Tiger worms for instance can be quiet hungry worm who will eat decomposing matter like old leaves, uncooked kitchen scraps and then digest it into worm casting (yes their poo lol) which are rich in nutrients, as long as they are fed a balanced diet :lol:

Ask @GMO he LOVES his worms!!!!
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:05 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:47 pm
uncooked kitchen scraps
They won't eat them fresh. They will need to start decomposing first as it's the bacteria the worms need. There are some foods to avoid too - raw or otherwise. Examples of this are : citrus fruits and peels. Anything from the onion family - including garlic.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
Guest (Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:11 pm)
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Post by Guest »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:08 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
uncooked kitchen scraps
They won't eat them fresh. They will need to start decomposing first as it's the bacteria the worms need. There are some foods to avoid too - raw or otherwise. Examples of this are : citrus fruits and peels. Anything from the onion family - including garlic.
I forgot you do worms too, I should be coming to you for advice :lol: I think I got it the wrong way around :lol: :suicide:

Been at it doing loads recently, got some bits coming to make the wormery.

Was probably thinking Bokashi
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:16 pm)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:15 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:08 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
uncooked kitchen scraps
I forgot you do worms too, I should be coming to you for advice :lol: I think I got it the wrong way around :lol: :suicide:

Been at it doing loads recently, got some bits coming to make the wormery.

Was probably thinking Bokashi
It's not too late for you to collect fallen leaves and make your own leaf mould too. I have some that are in a bin on their own to decompose naturally, and another one in the kitchen that also has worms in there. All you need is one of these...

Yes, a see-through one. Forget the bollocks about having to use one that's black. True, worms don't like light, but they're not fucking vampires. They are not going to explode on exposure to light. Also, you won't have to keep opening the lid to see if they are okay as you can view them from outside. As long as you don't feed them a lot of wet food, you won't need a drip tray for the leachate.

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

So the benefit of doing worm castings on a large scale is to use no or less nutrients ? Which I like the idea of nature ... and another question is do you keep some worms in your pot while growing
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:58 am)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Wayne36 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:23 am
So the benefit of doing worm castings on a large scale is to use no or less nutrients ? Which I like the idea of nature ... and another question is do you keep some worms in your pot while growing
This explains it well and saves me a lot of typing...
https://www.planetnatural.com/worm-castings-benefits/
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
Wayne36 (Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:15 am)

GHO

Post by GHO »

Wayne36 wrote:So the benefit of doing worm castings on a large scale is to use no or less nutrients ? Which I like the idea of nature ... and another question is do you keep some worms in your pot while growing
No mate, worm castings will be one of your largest inputs when mixing a soil but you'll still amend the soil also... High quality castings will be made from composted manure and or sedge peat imho. Castings made from green waste are not as nutritious and you can tell just by looking at them that they're under par. I had a lot of samples in from potential suppliers and they didn't perform as well in side by side tests.
It's one of those things.

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author GHO for the post:
Wayne36 (Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:10 am)

GHO

Post by GHO »

The worm castings provide immediately available nutrients that plants can draw on straight away along with auxins and gibberellins that help regulate plant growth. On their own castings won't get most plants through a full cycle. The amendments are broken down by microorganisms and will feed your plant long term.
This might explain what the different elements do when building a soil. https://www.greenhandorganic.com/a-recipe-for-success

These users thanked the author GHO for the post:
Wayne36 (Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:20 am)

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

Thanks guys for the info seems like worm castings/living soil is a lot of work lol I might try it one day when I have the space for it and get more knowledge about it so I will definitely be keeping a eye out on this forum for info and step by step of this so that one day when I try I'll be a pro lol... so basically if you cant get soil you make your own and have a bit of benefits to help your plants grow ? Is that the main way to reason for making worm castings / living soil ?
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:53 pm)

GHO

Post by GHO »

No mate. Basically you're recreating a very fertile soil without the years of erosion, weathering and decomposition needed to produce it naturally. It is as easy or as hard as you make it. Simple way, find a good recipe. Read a few posts on how it works and get on with it. What makes it complicated is the natural urge to geek out and want to understand every aspect of it beforehand. It takes the very knowledgeable growers years of research to fully understand how their soil works. Like every other method you can do one or the other but trying to crams years of reading into a short period to save building experience will tie you up in knots.

These users thanked the author GHO for the post (total 2):
Guest (Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:55 am) • Wayne36 (Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:24 pm)

Return to “GHO's Organic Corner”