Malted Barley Flour

GHO is a supplier of organic soil amendments and stimulants.
GHO

Re: Malted Barley Flour

Post by GHO »

No worries at all mate. It's a newly built site so any issues please let me know.
These users thanked the author GHO for the post (total 2):
GMO (Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:52 pm) • B.G. (Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

i thought id drop the direct link to the product page to save people efforts :D

https://www.greenhandorganic.com/buy-no ... rley-flour

ill be placing an order shortly :rock:
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 3):
GHO (Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:03 am) • Guest (Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:56 am) • B.G. (Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 am)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

GHO

Post by GHO »

Thanks GMO
These users thanked the author GHO for the post:
B.G. (Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 am)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

GHO wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:44 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:21 pm
GHO wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 pm
I mentioned I mill malted barley flour. So here's a few things on it and why I produce it rather than buying in:

If you're familiar with clackamas coots, you'll know he's the guy that discovered this little gem. You'll also know he recommends fresh but here's a couple of things you might not know.

Firstly age: a member asked me the other day if I could supply just the cracked grain and I mentioned age. Before I decided to produce this myself I did a lot of reading on barley and also spent a long time trying to source a good supplier. What I found was that most (but not all) malted barley available here is grown in Thailand and shipped across to the UK by the main suppliers. A lot of it is malted there a bit is malted here. But your fresh barley at this point can be two to six months old from malting. The vast majority of this barley is genetically modified for better resilience to pests and better production. By the time it's been through a flour factory bagged, sat on shelves, and made it to you god only knows how old it is. Even stuff malted large scale in the UK can be a few months old at point if purchase. This is why I produce it myself. I get a fresh delivery of malt every week and mill it. By the time it reaches you as I mill every day it will be no more than four days old from milling and no more than eight days from malting. This means the flour and thus the enzymes are in peak condition.

Secondly, producing it yourself. It is done, however what a lot of people don't realise is that enzymes die at around 62 degrees Celsius. To really get this right the flour needs to be fine increasing the surface area so that when you water it in those enzymes can get straight to work. When I started out I tried a variety of blenders and laboratory pulverisers and found that the length of time needed to get this to flour raised the temperature of the flour potentially damaging those enzymes so I moved on to stone mills. I visited a couple of manufacturers in Europe to run tests and eventually settled on one that can keep temps low while milling and I only run it in fits and starts to ensure my mbp is as good as it gets.

I've a few serious growers I deal with that are really happy with the quality over what they were using before. For the work involved and quality I think this is a very fair price.

If you've any questions please let me know.

GHO

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Loving this. I have tried to seek out raw ingredients for this. I purchased some malted barley powder from an organic garden supplier in the UK. They are far and few in between compared to Canada or other permaculture like society.

I used to try using malted barley extract as that's all I could get on my last grow, don't think it made masses of difference.

I'd consider doing this or getting some from you, I'd also be better keeping it in the fridge by the sound of it to preserve the enzymes?

I bought some neem cake which looks a similar logo of yours?

Keep up the good work man. The company I use are getting stupid Expensive!
There's a few other elements to the malt that make it work buddy. Extract etc won't work and some varieties work better than others. It performs way more functions than just facilitating reactions. The catalyst attributes are about half of what it does.
As for preserving the enzymes I believe they degrade over time. I'd say never buy more than a kilo at a time buddy unless you're doing a big grow. I'm not sure how very cold conditions would affect the enzymes. But I'll have a root through the books and see if I've any studies handy that will give me a clue.
I do sell neem mate so you may well have done. Recently switched to Senegalese neem as the active ingredients are higher. Everything is a little cheaper on the site, if you need anything else drop me a line. I've a few more amendments landing this week and I'll be doing fresh worm castings from the coming weekend.
Hi GHO

Very interested in this.

Can it be used in a substrate like Plagron Batmix?

I'm currently running batmix in 7.5ltr pots with a bit of added mycorrhizae when I repot.

Could the flower be mixed into the substrate on re potting as well or just sprinkled in the pot like the mycorrhizae?

Or, does this really have to be used as part of a full living soil set up?

Cheers

Post by Guest »

GMO wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:55 pm
i thought id drop the direct link to the product page to save people efforts :D

https://www.greenhandorganic.com/buy-no ... rley-flour

ill be placing an order shortly :rock:
Good one GMO. I just ordered 1KG to use somewhere else 🤦‍♂️ I've used some different product from these people and it did what it said on the tin! So I'll be heading back to the page again when I need more.

I did find the page eventually so that link helps 🙏
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

GHO

Post by GHO »

[

Hi GHO

Very interested in this.

Can it be used in a substrate like Plagron Batmix?

I'm currently running batmix in 7.5ltr pots with a bit of added mycorrhizae when I repot.

Could the flower be mixed into the substrate on re potting as well or just sprinkled in the pot like the mycorrhizae?

Or, does this really have to be used as part of a full living soil set up?

Cheers
[/quote]

Yes mate you can mix it in with your soil, top dress, or put a bit underneath the roots when transplanting. The enzymes will help catalyse a number of different reactions buddy. I'm told that watering this in with fulvic acid kicks it up a further notch too. It works with most soil grow techniques I've come across
These users thanked the author GHO for the post (total 2):
B.G. (Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:02 am) • GMO (Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:17 pm)

Return to “GHO's Organic Corner”