Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

DIY Ultrasonic Humidifier - conversion to 'Mister' Humidifier

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Minty
Respected Member

DIY Ultrasonic Humidifier - conversion to 'Mister' Humidifier

Post by Minty »

Ok so some may already know I have already attempted to make a DIY humidifier for my GRoom:-

But to be honest it was shit and it failed within a month- the ultrasonic misters just seemed to fail constantly, not sure if this was due to the water level in the unit, using RO water or just buying cheap but I couldn't be arsed to fix it yet...

Anyway while looking for some idea's on how to feed my Pint Size grows in a somewhat automated way I was looking into drippers and came across the following:-
image.png

Which seems logically able to humidify a tent and possibly using nutrients directly from the Res (as someone else once told me that they do - can't remember who so please pipe up if this was you or you just use nutrient water in a humidifier??)

So what I am thinking is to have a couple of these mounted in the tent and to dose 'humidity' as required by misting water directly from the nutrient res.

Questions are:-
  • Is this a good idea? If not why not?
    Misting directly onto the lights and electrical equipment is obviously not desirable so these would be plant height if used.
  • Is it a bad idea to 'mist' with the lights on?
    I know spraying is not advised with the lights on but this would be mainly for humidification so could even be hidden inside the canopy to negate the stress of light burn etc on the leaves but if possible it would surely be more beneficial to mist the leaves as well if I am going to be using nutrient water from the res.
  • If misting the actual leaves etc is a bad idea would using a wetting agent negate the bad?
  • Could the same misting system be used with say 'canna cure' or other 'Bug stuff' be applied by misting?
Should be a pretty simple conversion in terms of refitting the old humidifier that had a dedicated water supply/overflow etc and just fitting a small pump to come on when required and mist.

image.png

Last question is would you think this would work as well/better than the Ultrasonic attempt I had?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post (total 2):
Josh (Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 am) • Guest (Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:43 am)

Nom
Known User

Re: DIY Ultrasonic Humidifier - conversion to 'Mister' Humidifier

Post by Nom »

I bought one if those silvercrest ultrasonic jobies from lidl for £16 but i did nearly go for one if those floating puck things that make it look like a cauldron. I too really prefer diy though so I'm thinking buy the one from lidl to harvest for parts? Or addapt to what you want. Not exactly what you were asking though, but i dont know the answer to your question mate so made a suggestion
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
Minty (Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:31 am)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:46 am
I'm actually looking for a good but compact dehumidifier right now.
LOL, dehumidifying is a little trickier than humidifying ;o)

Post by Guest »

Most honestly though Minty, there is a space in the market to compete, mmmm let's say one of the automated inline fans on the market. I got one, there very quiet, super efficient but the programming a bit restricted as if the room sat at the prime temp the fan would turn off completely. So, I found out you can set it up using an alarm, but then whenever it went to full power and over the pre set humidity it would bleep like fuck! You could hear it from my back door! So that bleeper is now in my loose electrical tray, awaiting some use, never to see the heat of a solder iron again.

So it has 10 levels of fan speed, but i can only pre set the main running speed or if goes over pre sets and alarms, it goes to full speed.

I was going to do a review, but I thought a negative one may get some bad rap 🙈
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
Minty (Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Post by Guest »

Hence I can now run it continuously, but only on one pre set speed or full speed lol

Post by Guest »

Couldn't you use some sort of coil from an e cig to warm it up and condense the water?

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 am
I was going to do a review, but I thought a negative one may get some bad rap
A review is exactly that mate, good and bad. I say you do it as bad things are much more important to point out than the good.
DIY.Rik wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:59 am
Couldn't you use some sort of coil from an e cig to warm it up and condense the water?
I don't think the E-Cig coils are suitable to be run constantly. A similar idea using a kettle element might work i.e. using steam? :idn:

Post by Guest »

Minty wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:15 am
DIY.Rik wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 am
I was going to do a review, but I thought a negative one may get some bad rap
A review is exactly that mate, good and bad. I say you do it as bad things are much more important to point out than the good.
DIY.Rik wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:59 am
I don't think the E-Cig coils are suitable to be run constantly. A similar idea using a kettle element might work i.e. using steam? :idn:
Yes there is companies that do heating elements etc
.... don't think I'd want to rely on wiring something like that up though ⚡

Post by Guest »

....and maybe I will do a review. I need to start my next diary. I've been mage lazy keeping up with that. Enjoying searching around the site and seeing what everyone else is doing right now lol 👃
Minty (Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 am)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”