Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

I have a problem with smell

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Nom
Known User

I have a problem with smell

Post by Nom »

So I've just replaced my 15 month old rhino pro filter which was working fine with another new rhino pro and at the same time swapped out my 6 inch ruck fan for a 6 inch ec hyperfan stealth. And now i have a smell leak.

In the tent I have a 150/300 rhino pro connected to acoustic ducting, this ducting exists the tent and goes through the ceiling into the attic where it is connected to the ec hyperfan stealth, the fan in turn is connected to a short length of ducting and then to a 150/600 ram filter which is 6 months old. So I suck through from the tent and blow through in the attic. Prior to changing the fan and filter there was no smell problems at all, I just found the fan a bit noisey.

What I dont understand is how the smell of 4 x one month old veg plants can be cutting through two filters which are both oversized for the hyperfan. I'm thinking it's got to be a leak inside the groom? Due to safety concerns I've already hacked down the plants as I have plenty if stash anyway, so the smell wont be a problem now. But I do want to get the issue sorted for future use, any ideas?
I've picked up some smoke pellets to do a smoke test but I've never done one of these. Could this be because I've jubilee clipped the inside portion of the ducting and heavily taped the outside over the top?
These users thanked the author Nom for the post (total 2):
Greenfingers (Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:08 am) • Keeno (Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:53 pm)

Greenfingers
Known User

Re: I have a problem with smell

Post by Greenfingers »

get in your tent with the lights off and look for outside light coming in, also shine light up your ducts and such and find that leak.
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
Nom (Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:52 am)

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

Nomoli wrote:So I've just replaced my 15 month old rhino pro filter which was working fine with another new rhino pro and at the same time swapped out my 6 inch ruck fan for a 6 inch ec hyperfan stealth. And now i have a smell leak.

In the tent I have a 150/300 rhino pro connected to acoustic ducting, this ducting exists the tent and goes through the ceiling into the attic where it is connected to the ec hyperfan stealth, the fan in turn is connected to a short length of ducting and then to a 150/600 ram filter which is 6 months old. So I suck through from the tent and blow through in the attic. Prior to changing the fan and filter there was no smell problems at all, I just found the fan a bit noisey.

What I dont understand is how the smell of 4 x one month old veg plants can be cutting through two filters which are both oversized for the hyperfan. I'm thinking it's got to be a leak inside the groom? Due to safety concerns I've already hacked down the plants as I have plenty if stash anyway, so the smell wont be a problem now. But I do want to get the issue sorted for future use, any ideas?
I've picked up some smoke pellets to do a smoke test but I've never done one of these. Could this be because I've jubilee clipped the inside portion of the ducting and heavily taped the outside over the top?
I'm just a beginner but when I was setting my tent up I did a bit of research about kit.
The one thing I kept reading was to avoid Rhino filters.
Apparently they used to be alright but the quality has gone down.
Might be worth trying your old filter again.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post (total 2):
Greenfingers (Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:57 am) • Minty (Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:22 am)

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

The rhino issue was due to the fact that production was moved and the QC went downhill, by all accounts there were 4 shipping containers of rhino filters that had insufficient QC. The QC aspect was then moved back to the original place and the problem was sorted.

I don't beleive its a filter leak as im using two different brands of filter on the set up, so in theory even if one failed the other one would provide a buffer. That combined with the plants being a month old in veg I find it difficult to beleive the smell is cutting through the pair if them

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Can you show me with some photos? How have you attached the duct to connectors etc is what I'm interested in.

Also, by using two filters like the way you are you're putting a lot of strain on the fan. I wouldn't recommend this and just the one filter should me more than sufficient.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Nom (Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:52 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Filters bran new into the system yesterday mate, I'd only used it attatched directly to a fan in the room when i was chopping and it did the trick fine like that. The filter isnt flippable and the charcoal is packed really tight inside with no gaps

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Ok so ive just done a smoke test with some pellets, my fan and filter connections suck and the fan in my little tent that i didnt think i had a problem with leaks around the housing. Looks like i have some work to do
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
seymore_budz (Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:48 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Nomoli wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:19 pm
Ok so ive just done a smoke test with some pellets, my fan and filter connections suck and the fan in my little tent that i didnt think i had a problem with leaks around the housing. Looks like i have some work to do
So the smoke test highlighted the issue?
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Nom (Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm)

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

It definitely highlighted a couple of issues as did the movement of my boys giant pirate ship from the side of the bath which revealed a pile of wire wool absolutely caked in resin that I used to wash my bowel trimmer out in the bath tub four days ago, which me and the mrs agree smells exactly the same as what we were smelling. Someone call me a stupid
c u n t. I dont think that was the sole cause though because you could smell it outside the house and down the road at one point. I am now reflecting upon my last few days with beer.

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

Nomoli wrote:It definitely highlighted a couple of issues as did the movement of my boys giant pirate ship from the side of the bath which revealed a pile of wire wool absolutely caked in resin that I used to wash my bowel trimmer out in the bath tub four days ago, which me and the mrs agree smells exactly the same as what we were smelling. Someone call me a stupid
c u n t. I dont think that was the sole cause though because you could smell it outside the house and down the road at one point. I am now reflecting upon my last few days with beer.
Wtf does a bowel trimmer do? Sounds very painful

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”