Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Transfer of heat between two separate water (nutrient) sources

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Minty
Respected Member

Transfer of heat between two separate water (nutrient) sources

Post by Minty »

I have a question about transfer of heat within nutrient solution (AKA Water) and as always would appreciate any feedback both positive and negative.

So basically I currently have a RDWC Hydro build complete with a water chiller etc. and while I still do want to replace this due to the noise made by the water pumps I am now thinking I could resolve this noise issue by mounting 'external' water pumps internally within a PVC well insulated box above the current res - this should resolve the sound issue and apart from the overall environment heat which is an issue in it's own right regardless of growing medium I have been happy with growing in water in terms of the ease of automation side.

But because of the initial Root Rot etc and deciding to have an additional grow as backup using Auto Pots I now have a problem of still having to chill both Res's with a single chiller or purchase an additional chiller?

So after some thinking etc and trying to come up with a way to use a singles chiller to cool two reservoir I came up with an idea of basically pumping the water from one res around in a copper pipe situated in the res already being chilled. e.g. pump water from one of the reservoir thru the water from the other chilled reservoir hopefully allowing a single chiller to lower the temps of both containers of water.

So my question really is which way to try and cool the additional reservoir, buy pumping it's hot water thru the cold reservoir:-

or by pumping cold water thru the hot reservoir:-

Was thinking about pumping the nutrient water thru some copper coil which should hold the temps down if submerged in the chilled res no?

Just looking for which way around you would think would be more efficient cooling the nutrient water from the currently temperature unmanaged AutoPot res without a dedicated chiller?

Hopefully this will help to lower the temps a couple of degrees otherwise I will be using it for the One Pint Hydro attempt :O)

Thanks Guys.

Philzon   Vape4Ever
Minty
Respected Member

Re: Transfer of heat between two separate water (nutrient) sources

Post by Minty »

Thanks Marcus. Guess I am just paranoid after already struggling with having root rot with my current grow

Hydro
Known User

Post by Hydro »

I agree with Marcus but if you have to chill and want efficient use of the chiller.. I’d use an overflow type setup pulling water from the autopot res and pushing it back into the main hydro tank with a pipework overflow system to the autopot res .. no need for any more copper piping or pumps as the pump will heat the water too

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Hydrodaily wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 am
pulling water from the autopot res and pushing it back into the main hydro tank with a pipework overflow system
Not sure what you mean unless you are referring to both res's having the same nutrient mix

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

dont bother chilling the auto pots mate, you are just making work for yourself.
sounds like youve got it sorted
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
Minty (Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:47 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:56 pm
dont bother chilling the auto pots mate, you are just making work for yourself.
sounds like youve got it sorted
OK, sounds like the AutoPots are not a concern but seeing as I already got the copper pipe etc I may as well use it for the One Pint Hydro grow which is defo going to need some cooling as the pint container is a can of Stella and with the dehumidifier active the tent temp is averaging about 25℃ which is fine for Air Temp but a water temp of that is not going to work.

So original question remains - just replace the AutoPot Res with the One Pint Stella Can Res ;o)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”