Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Minty Hydro - Grow Room Scheduler - Suggestions, Feedback, Criticism and Compliments wanted

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Minty
Respected Member

Minty Hydro - Grow Room Scheduler - Suggestions, Feedback, Criticism and Compliments wanted

Post by Minty »

Hi Guys,

As some of you may already know (by following my build/grow diary), I am trying to build a semi-automated solution to growing (well at least assisting me while I obsess over every part of the process) and I have the hardware pretty much sorted out now (willing to post more in depth details on that side if anyone is interested?). I am still waiting on a couple of inline taps to allow me to manually adjust the water level in the pots but should be good to go in the next couple of days on the Invisible Sun Comp.

While waiting I decided to move onto the software side of the problem. I previously had a very basic setup to control the hardware - simple on/off toggles to remote control the various bit of hardware via RF433mhz sockets. That software while functional for development was not nice and not very functional.

I mean, FFS, just look at it:-

So this weekend I decided to start the long process of building some custom bespoke software for my task. While thinking about what the software needed I kept coming back to Good Old Keeno!

I have recently been listening to the Grow Room Videos (respect guys, I can't get me enough of them birds, munching on birds, straight outta the bush) and something Keeno mentioned a couple of times now, was that "he is walking past the timer for his lights to do it manually" because it is too much hassle to set the timer up. This is no way a dig at Keeno, It just made me think that I would be exactly the same unless it was quick and easy. That made me think more in terms of how hard can it be, to set a timer on a light schedule?!?

Well after some playing around, use-cases, etc. it is actually harder than you think especially when you consider the interface (Keeno may have one of them nasty central heating timers with a dial full of pegs/pins etc). I spent a couple of days considering this problem and reworking my complete User Interface and I think I now have something that works reasonably well:-

The point to my post is that while playing around with my software (which is currently very specific to my needs) it could be easily adjusted for lighter hardware requirements (i.e. cheaply schedule just RF433mhz remote controlled devices) or just used as a scheduling planner / i.e. software only - no hardware.

I have stuck a BETA version of what I have so far up online as using it is far easier than trying to describe how it currently works. Obviously this is not finished software and nothing is being saved but you should be able to create schedules and get a feel for the software. Hopefully will have more functionality as time permits.

I would love for anyone to have a play and feedback any suggestions you have for how it might work better in it's current role (as just my software) or how it could be expanded to prove more useful to the greater GR420 community in terms of a software project with the added benefits of being able to control hardware. Is this something anyone would be interested in contributing / expanding on?

Feedback is more than welcome - especially the bad as this creates change ;o)
These users thanked the author Minty for the post (total 2):
Nom (Sun May 10, 2020 4:59 am) • Cam420 (Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 am)

Point 5
Respected Member

Re: Minty Hydro - Grow Room Scheduler - Suggestions, Feedback, Criticism and Compliments wanted

Post by Point 5 »

this is some really cool stuff. I don't have the ability to test anything as I'm in no way techy.
From what I can see it will be very customisable to any grow you or anyone else does.
I'll mention this to HMR as he gets this stuff amd been gaining about automation for a bit

Keeno and his lights makes me giggle every week , glad you're liking the pod casts.
If you haven't had chance yet check out growing with my fellow lads or the cheap home grow pod casts. Really good info in those
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post:
Minty (Sun May 10, 2020 4:16 am)
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

Minty
Respected Member

Re: Minty Hydro - Grow Room Scheduler - Suggestions, Feedback, Criticism and Compliments wanted

Post by Minty »

Hmr81.5 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:12 am
this is some really cool stuff. I don't have the ability to test anything as I'm in no way techy.
From what I can see it will be very customisable to any grow you or anyone else does.
I'll mention this to HMR as he gets this stuff amd been gaining about automation for a bit

Keeno and his lights makes me giggle every week , glad you're liking the pod casts.
If you haven't had chance yet check out growing with my fellow lads or the cheap home grow pod casts. Really good info in those
Thanks .5, I still have a load to do with it but the main goals are to provide a means of tracking the grow as well as controlling the automation side.

I will check out the pod casts you mention when when I get a spare couple of minutes.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I love this project, I bought bits to do one similar and got pissed off and never did it.
Once its all 100% you should write a how to with all equipment needed and possibly a github link to the firmware so we can all play if we want :D
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Nanook wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:48 pm
I love this project, I bought bits to do one similar and got pissed off and never did it.
Once its all 100% you should write a how to with all equipment needed and possibly a github link to the firmware so we can all play if we want :D
Thanks Nanook,
The parts list I will work on (as well as coming up with a cheaper solution if the full hydro support is not needed). The current software is already in my public Git repository but it needs more documentation which I will do once the code settles down.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:
Nanook (Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:49 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Just checked it out myself using a mobile and that definitely needs more work for the layout and the side navigation should be minimised on mobile. It does kinda work but for now I would suggest trying it out on a desktop browser.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:
Nanook (Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:11 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

OK, so it should work a little better on Mobile now.

Certainly not perfect and by no means fully responsive, etc but at the moment it is for personal use only and how much time should one spend on it while one is the only one using it...

I have the Control Section fully working and manually controlling the hardware is possible, setting the devices to AUTO currently does nothing (this is part of the Scheduled Section - and basically means it will be controlled via the schedule rather than being on or off):-

The Pump Section is fully working including calibation of the dosing pumps:-

The Sensor Section is fully working including calibration of the E.C. and pH probes.

The Setttings Section is not currently being recorded and while optional will eventually be stored in the database for stats really:-

The Nutrient Section is used to control the amount of dosing the pumps will do.
While not finished the idea is to basically set out your base nutrient levels in the lower table and the top table will adjust to show the total dosing based on res size etc.

The Schedule Section is mostly where all the work remains:-

The idea is to be able to drag out a schedule (or state a start and end date) then specify which device you want to trigger (lights, humidifier, fans, etc.), then pick an actual trigger such as just the timed schedule, or using the input sensors, the trigger could be temperature, humidity, etc. anything really.

The idea is pretty much IFTTT but working OFFLINE and for growing shit. I call it 'Grow Automation' ;o)

The 'OFFLINE' (in terms of feedback will be suppressed as this is now relayed from the actual hardware) BETA version is still accessible online and all feedback is most welcome.

Any features I could add etc>? Or how I could adapt to make this work for you etc?

Cam420

Post by Cam420 »

Minty wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:35 pm
Hi Guys,

As some of you may already know (by following my build/grow diary), I am trying to build a semi-automated solution to growing (well at least assisting me while I obsess over every part of the process) and I have the hardware pretty much sorted out now (willing to post more in depth details on that side if anyone is interested?). I am still waiting on a couple of inline taps to allow me to manually adjust the water level in the pots but should be good to go in the next couple of days on the Invisible Sun Comp.

While waiting I decided to move onto the software side of the problem. I previously had a very basic setup to control the hardware - simple on/off toggles to remote control the various bit of hardware via RF433mhz sockets. That software while functional for development was not nice and not very functional.

I mean, FFS, just look at it:-

So this weekend I decided to start the long process of building some custom bespoke software for my task. While thinking about what the software needed I kept coming back to Good Old Keeno!

I have recently been listening to the Grow Room Videos (respect guys, I can't get me enough of them birds, munching on birds, straight outta the bush) and something Keeno mentioned a couple of times now, was that "he is walking past the timer for his lights to do it manually" because it is too much hassle to set the timer up. This is no way a dig at Keeno, It just made me think that I would be exactly the same unless it was quick and easy. That made me think more in terms of how hard can it be, to set a timer on a light schedule?!?

Well after some playing around, use-cases, etc. it is actually harder than you think especially when you consider the interface (Keeno may have one of them nasty central heating timers with a dial full of pegs/pins etc). I spent a couple of days considering this problem and reworking my complete User Interface and I think I now have something that works reasonably well:-

The point to my post is that while playing around with my software (which is currently very specific to my needs) it could be easily adjusted for lighter hardware requirements (i.e. cheaply schedule just RF433mhz remote controlled devices) or just used as a scheduling planner / i.e. software only - no hardware.

I have stuck a BETA version of what I have so far up online as using it is far easier than trying to describe how it currently works. Obviously this is not finished software and nothing is being saved but you should be able to create schedules and get a feel for the software. Hopefully will have more functionality as time permits.

I would love for anyone to have a play and feedback any suggestions you have for how it might work better in it's current role (as just my software) or how it could be expanded to prove more useful to the greater GR420 community in terms of a software project with the added benefits of being able to control hardware. Is this something anyone would be interested in contributing / expanding on?

Feedback is more than welcome - especially the bad as this creates change ;o)
Really like the idea of this, always thought how easy it would be to just have a programme run it all and sit back and watch the show
These users thanked the author Cam420 for the post:
Minty (Sun May 10, 2020 3:13 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Hmr81 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:01 am
Wow, you blow my mind man.
Cool little system you got under dev mate. A bit to complex for me because I hand water etc etc but very cool, if I ever went nft it would be something I'd want to have installed and running tbh.

For me at the moment , I'd like a system to control my lights, heater, fan speed and record rhd, temp, wind speed. So my requirements are much smaller than yours. If I could use a single system to control both my tent and point fives(they sit next to each other) I'd snap your hand off
For your requirements you could get away with just the basics:-
There would be a few other bits like an enclosure but not required as such.

The software would work for the two tents, you would just assign the events from each sensor to different output sockets per tent. i.e. if the temp in tent one goes above X, turn fan in tent one on (e.g. send RF code for socket number 3).The concept of using the RF433 wireless control keeps it all pretty simple to be honest.

The parts I am not sure about would be the 'Wind Sensor' not sure why you would need this? and the controlling of the fan speed. You would need to have a PWM compatible controller for the Arduino to be able to control the actual speed and it would also require a hard wired connection for this.

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”