Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Garage grow design

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Scottyboy88

Garage grow design

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum looking for some advice and on my garage grow room design. Half of my garage has been turned into a room with stud walls it’s insulated and plaster boarded and I’ve also gone over the room again with celotex, one thing I’m looking for advice on is extraction. People come close to my garage so I need things to be as quiet as possible and no smell. I have a 6inch hyper fan stealth for extraction along with a phresh filter. I have 2 options of where to extract, 1. up out of the room into pitched roof that is not insulated and connected to the front half of the garage, 2. Build a window box and extract out the window which then goes into a conservatory on the side of the garage at the back of my garden. All advice is welcome and appreciated, thanks.

Greenfingers
Known User

Re: Garage grow design

Post by Greenfingers »

Hello and welcome, best carbon filter you can afford for the size of the grow space and id just extract it into pitched roof and let it dissipate out, Also have oscillating fans moving the air around inside grow space.
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
Scottyboy88 (Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 pm)

Scottyboy88

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Thanks for reply’s so far, I forgot to mention I’m using a 1.5mx1.5mx2.2m tent in the room. If I vent into the roof space the the only place I have to pull fresh air in from is through the window attached to the conservatory, the conservatory gets really hot when it’s sunny and cold when it’s cold so I’m thinking it will make it hard to control temps if I pull air from there.

Scottyboy88

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Greenfingers wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:49 am
Hello and welcome, best carbon filter you can afford for the size of the grow space and id just extract it into pitched roof and let it dissipate out, Also have oscillating fans moving the air around inside grow space.
Hi there, I have a 6inch phresh 150x600 carbon filter.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

welcome, I would personally be concerned about heat your extracting being seen. Garages as a nightmare to use as grooms because of raised humidity etc - they need very well insulated as well. If its attached I would be tempted to extracy into the house.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Scottyboy88

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Nanook wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:24 pm
welcome, I would personally be concerned about heat your extracting being seen. Garages as a nightmare to use as grooms because of raised humidity etc - they need very well insulated as well. If its attached I would be tempted to extracy into the house.
Hi there, no unfortunately the garage is not attached to the house. It is insulated to the max, there is insulation between the stud work under the plasterboard and I have also lined the room with celotex.
These users thanked the author Scottyboy88 for the post:
Nanook (Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:42 pm)

Scottyboy88

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Hmr81 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:46 am
Hi mate, I can only speak from a tent inside a shed perspective, but like you I have close neighbors and need to keep the smell down. I extract via a six inch fan through a carbon filter to the shed itself and haven't had an issue with smell yet. My wife uses a smaller four inch fan which is a bit louder and I might change it to a six inch fan for noise reduction but smell wise seems to be fine.
Hi thanks for the reply! Your situation sounds similar to mine although your in a shed and I’m in a garage, the issues we face will be similar as they are both outbuildings. What would you thoughts be on pulling air from other half of my garage then extracting into the room the tens in and letting it passively escape out of the window into the conservatory?

Scottyboy88

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Hmr81 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:14 pm
Yea it'll be fine drawing in air from the garage, will be plenty co2 in the general air and then vent into garage via the filter is what I'd do and indeed what I do in my shed, the only caveat being that I extract my first tent into the intake of my second tent which then vents into the shed space.
Thanks. The pitched roof of the garage is not insulated do you think the extracted heat would be a problem?

Scottyboy88

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Hmr81 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:49 pm
That's the only issue really, so depends how much heat you are talking here. Running led lights in two tents 80*80*160, doesn't seem to generate that much residual heat in my shed, keeps it about 18 c most of the time. But, my whole shed is insulated including the roof so the external heat signature isn't too bad .

Really depends how much hot air you need to get rid of and in what space, I mean if the roof space is ten meter by ten meter than a single best wouldn't increase the overall temp that much but if it's small and you have a hot hps light for example it could get very toasty
I have a diyleduk hlg 550 xl light, I’m not 100% sure of the exact size of the roof space but it’s probably in the region of 3m x 6m But the height is quite low I have to kneel/crawl about up there. I’m out getting some shopping right now so when I’m back I will measure the space to be more precise.

Scottyboy88

Post by Scottyboy88 »

Hmr81 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:49 pm
That's the only issue really, so depends how much heat you are talking here. Running led lights in two tents 80*80*160, doesn't seem to generate that much residual heat in my shed, keeps it about 18 c most of the time. But, my whole shed is insulated including the roof so the external heat signature isn't too bad .

Really depends how much hot air you need to get rid of and in what space, I mean if the roof space is ten meter by ten meter than a single best wouldn't increase the overall temp that much but if it's small and you have a hot hps light for example it could get very toasty
The roof space is 5.5m length x 3m width x 0.8m high it is connected to the other half of the garage that my room is sealed off from.

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”