Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Dimmable Ballast

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Keeno
Site Admin

Dimmable Ballast

Post by Keeno »

Morning Groom,

I thought id share some information I got a while back regarding dimmable ballast and bulbs to go in them.

Ive used 600w bulbs and dimmed down to 250/400w in th past. I was looking at the sunmaster MH bulbs, as id not used one in a dimmable ballast I contacted them to see if these bulbs could also be dimmed. The reply I got was that while the bulb would indeed fire up it may not be ideal. The reason for this is that hps/mh bulbs achieve the correct spectrum by burning at a set temperature, to do this they need the correct wattage. So...Why im sure like me many have/are using higher wattage bulbs dimmed to lower settings with no real ill effects, you may not be getting the very best from your bulb by doing this.

Since that email I have now purchased the correct bulbs for each setting on my dimmable ballast.

Nanook
Respected Member

Re: Dimmable Ballast

Post by Nanook »

never had an issue tbh with omega ballasts and lights. I only use them on 250 at seedling and 400 at small veg tho I guess. Never even bothered with MH lol - Wonder what difference it would make to speed if I did it right....
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Black Grouse wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am
never had an issue tbh with omega ballasts and lights. I only use them on 250 at seedling and 400 at small veg tho I guess. Never even bothered with MH lol - Wonder what difference it would make to speed if I did it right....
Ive used MH for veg before, not atm. I dont know if its faster tbh, it actually kept the plant more squat and tight noded, which is a good thing. Im also using the omega ballast, same never had an issue.

Wondering is this thread may open up a can of worms, if the temperature is important to producing the correct spectrum from these bulbs, mh/hps/dual, then what about cool shade/hood set ups and systems like gavita where you have one bulb that has to be used on different settings.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

It's odd you mention shades. I used panoramics last time - great covorage.... this time with double ended I am using adjustawing. You can measure the lux with your samsung phone ( *#0*# ) then sensor. I get major bright and dull areas but it helps you adjust them.

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Black Grouse wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm
It's odd you mention shades. I used panoramics last time - great covorage.... this time with double ended I am using adjustawing. You can measure the lux with your samsung phone ( *#0*# ) then sensor. I get major bright and dull areas but it helps you adjust them.
Is that an app?

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

no no, built into phone. Dial *#0*#

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Black Grouse wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:11 pm
no no, built into phone. Dial *#0*#
Ill be playing with that

B.G.
Known User

Post by B.G. »

Dimming down bulbs definitely changes there spectrum. When the manufacturers state they might not operate to there full potential because of the temperature they are talking about the striking temps or the firing temp of the bulb . I’ve always tried to run the correct bulb for the lamp setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Very true. I always have the right bulb for the right setting. After all they only cost 20 quid and if not flowering under them and run them only for couple of weeks each will last you forever. I only change my 600w bulb every grow.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

hmmm, I run my 1k's on 825w - wonder if theres much odds!

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”