Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

DIY Data Logger - Dabbling with Arduino

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Mafooo
Known User

Re: DIY Data Logger - Dabbling with Arduino

Post by Mafooo »

weedabix wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:54 am
a bright blurple pile if I am lucky
I needed that LOL WB hahahahahahahaha

Gotta get on this soon

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

hey check out tiny tags for data loggers got some from work to log temp changes they fit in and old 35mm film containers they run for days

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Nice work my friend

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

weedabix wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:02 pm
one BME280 inside the tent and one BMP280 outside (so I can measure the pressure difference to see whether the fan is working)
Does it actually need two sensors to determine if the fan is working? Couldn't you just record a known pressure range when not running and then see the pressure difference from the previously known value. Reason I ask is that I currently only have a single BME280 (I could use one of the other sensor types if needed). Just wondered if you tried a single sensor before moving to both?
weedabix wrote:
I wanted to use both BME280's on one Nodemcu but failed - I can't find a good library that works for me, or it's just the fact that one of them is a BMP280.
How did it fail? Are you using I2C or SPI to talk to the sensors?
weedabix wrote:
it now runs very reliably - 20 days and counting without a signal loss!
That's what we want to hear ;o)
weedabix wrote:
I really like your project! Do you have it written up somewhere? I'd be interested to know what pH and EC sensor you're using, are they reliable?
Thanks Man, I don't have it written up as yet but I will try and do that tonight (while chilling with a few beers).

The E.C. and P.H. sensors are Atlas Scientific probes controlled using the White Box lab stamps and the Ardunio Tentacle shield (shown under the two motor shields in the following image):-

They better be bloody reliable considering the cost. To be honest I don't have them in yet as I am still waiting on some final modifications to allow me to adjust the water levels in the pots before I can start but I did a load of research around this area and there are not that many suitable for connecting to an Ardunio/Raspberry Pi and you also need to consider having both probes in the water at the same time (which the Tentacle shield supports via isolation).

I will knock up a brief overview tonight with some basic price lists etc and expand further when I get time.

Cheers
Minty

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

MrNice wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm
hey check out tiny tags for data loggers got some from work to log temp changes they fit in and old 35mm film containers they run for days
They are certainly not cheap.

weedabix

Post by weedabix »

Minty wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:11 pm
Does it actually need two sensors to determine if the fan is working? Couldn't you just record a known pressure range when not running and then see the pressure difference from the previously known value. Reason I ask is that I currently only have a single BME280 (I could use one of the other sensor types if needed). Just wondered if you tried a single sensor before moving to both?
I have tried that but the atmospheric pressure changes are much higher than the changes due to the fan!
Minty wrote:
How did it fail? Are you using I2C or SPI to talk to the sensors?
I tried using I2C but gave up after a few attempts! Would definitely be the more elegant solution but I had another esp8266 lying around anyways as they came in a pack of 3. I will have to try it out again at some point!
Minty wrote:
Thanks Man, I don't have it written up as yet but I will try and do that tonight (while chilling with a few beers).
No rush - but it's a very cool project and looks stunning - very neatly done and everything is labelled! I should probably finally solder things rather than using the breadboard!

The Atlas Scientific stuff looks great! I think I can't quite commit to the investment just yet (albeit way below any of the commercial products I have seen) but it's good to know about them! I wonder whether there's much drift due to corrosion and salt buildup etc.

weedabix

Post by weedabix »

weedabix wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:28 pm
I think I can't quite commit to the investment just yet
and then I see they have a 50% sale on some probes which is tempting me!

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

i know hey i forget t0 give them back to work oops i dont really want them was going to ebay them or give them away
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
Minty (Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:31 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

weedabix wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:28 pm
very neatly done and everything is labelled! I should probably finally solder things rather than using the breadboard!
I did very little soldering to be fair, most of it is done with the motor shields that just stack on top of the Arduino and the top hat Grove connector shield. Pretty much plug and play. I would say if I had gone the soldering route it would have probably been half the price.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:
Nanook (Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:56 pm)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”