Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Small Cabinet Grow - Airflow & Fan Speed

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
tover
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Small Cabinet Grow - Airflow & Fan Speed

Post by tover »

For my first grow I'm planning to convert a cabinet into a grow box. I want to grow 1-2 small autos under quantum board style LEDs. Low odour & noise are my top priority, so I'd really like to get filtering & ventilation dialled in.

Box dimensions: 0.4 m * 0.8 m * 1.7 m, or about half a cubic metre.

After lots of DIY filter research I concluded that a standard 100mm/4" carbon filter is my safest bet.

I want a nice, quiet exhaust fan to pull through the filter and found one that's great on paper. It's sold variously as Blauberg Ducto, Vents/Winflex Quietline, Black Orchid Radial.
25db, 8 watt, 110 m^3/h

There's a 2 speed version with a 75 m^3/h mode, but it's more expensive, harder to source, and requires DIY wiring.

By my calculations, with 25% reduction from the filter the low / full speed fan would get 1.8 / 2.7 air changes per minute respectively.

• Is my filtering setup for a 0.5 m^3 cabinet with a 110 m^3/h fan pulling through a small 100mm carbon filter good for keeping odour contained?
  • Is that fan a decent size, or is it going to suck too much air through my closet and cause problems?
  • What's my best option for controlling air flow and environment while keeping costs reasonable? Two speed version? Socket adapter w/ speed controller? Recirculate some air?

Note: The air will be circulated into the enclosing room or possibly back into the cabinet itself. I have quite a variable environment - no air conditioning, mild & very humid winters, hot dry summers.

Philzon   Vape4Ever
Smokey

Re: Small Cabinet Grow - Airflow & Fan Speed

Post by Smokey »

You can use this tool just enter the details you have/require it will calculate the best option for you pal, Have A little look at this app.php/gr420-grow-calculator

Hope it helps

ATB

Smokes
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

tover

Post by tover »

DJ Smokey wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:40 pm
You can use this tool just enter the details you have/require it will calculate the best option for you pal, Have A little look at this...
Thanks!

tover

Post by tover »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:07 pm
I used to grow in kitchen cabinets. I used (and still do) a 5inch fan on a variac controller. The fan was probably running at about 20%.

Quiet as a mouse.

With my quantum boards, I need about 45cm from the tops of the plants or the plants don't like it.

In the cabinets, I used an old reflector with a small 70w cmh bulb fitted at each end and I could get that literally on top of the plants.

But a QB dialled down in power you can get close to the plants.

Good luck anyway. :oik!:

Thanks for the feedback! Those variacs don't come cheap, but sounds like I'm a bit overpowered and a fan speed controller should do the trick. Tempted to try a cheapo one, but have a feeling I'd regret that :naughty:

If you have any model recommendations for the Variac please share.

As for dialling down a Quantum Board -- great tip. I've been wondering how close I could run those.

Does that mean a 150 watt board run at half power can get closer than a 75 watt board at full power, ie: gets me more lumens on the plants?

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I use one of these on my smallest people say they can make fans hum when dialled down however i personally do not notice the difference nice and cheap and does the trick imho

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variispeed-P ... rk:19:pf:0

Cheers

Smokes

tover

Post by tover »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 pm
I can dial my board down and I did for when the plants are young, this is only my 1st grow with it but I have discovered I need at lest 18 inches from top of plants to board. So in a cabinet headroom will be needed to be taken into account. Same as when I ran a cob unit in the cab, the plants don't like em on top of them. That's why the 2 x 70w cmh worked so well for me in there.

But as for lumens and stuff,... I dunno. ?? I'm not technical, just go with what the plants ask for really.

I only went QB as it gets a bit hot in the basement during the summer under a 600w hps and I was having to knock it back to 250w so thought why not just run a 240w QB. ;) :D

I support that kind of thinking ;)

Will ask the QB suppliers about the distance thing. Definitely prefer LEDs, but buying a fancy light and then having problems with my setup would be a bummer. I did see a micro-grow on another forum that seemed to get pretty good results with a small QB at pretty close distances. Fingers crossed.

tover

Post by tover »

DJ Smokey wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:56 pm
I use one of these on my smallest people say they can make fans hum when dialled down however i personally do not notice the difference nice and cheap and does the trick imho

Cool. That sounds like a plan. I'll get the full speed fan and a cheapo controller to start with. Then if the controller causes problems I'll look into a variac.

The manufacturer actually recommends its own Thyristor based speed controller for that fan line.
From what I gather the cheapo socket speed controllers work on a similar mechanism.

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”