Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Building a small grow cupboard a buddy

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Stickylemonz
Known User

Re: Building a small grow cupboard a buddy

Post by Stickylemonz »

2-Scoops wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:14 am
I too grow in a similar small space which is 110cm x 55cm and i do alright, i grow two plants and generally get around 13oz, my best was 18oz, but i use a 250 and 400hps in their. But yes point being the invisible sun light 420mfuk posted above is one I've been pondering over for a while now and that should do ya a grand jobby in that space for 1 or 2 small plants. Anyhow best of with this and tell your mate not to worry about the oinkers, they make me laugh all bollox they spout about law breaking and when they`ve done you'll prolly get a kick in bollox and sent on your way. Don't sweat it till it happens and even then growing in that box is hardly worth sweating over even if it did happen tell your mate.
The light I got for my space mate and it is a great bit of kit! Hps done me well but the e line 265 is defo better quality bud just lower yield as went from 600whps to 265 led, however the colour and density has also majorly improved although yield defo dropped a fair bit.. you should defo look at getting one to try 2 scoops just to compare would help me out loads lol this will be a great fun build will sit in and watch it unfold hopefully be havesting buds in no time
These users thanked the author Stickylemonz for the post (total 4):
Herbalist (Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:46 pm) • 2-Scoops (Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:26 am) • biosynthetic (Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 am) • Wrh (Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:35 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Stickylemonz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:09 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
I too grow in a similar small space which is 110cm x 55cm and i do alright, i grow two plants and generally get around 13oz, my best was 18oz, but i use a 250 and 400hps in their. But yes point being the invisible sun light 420mfuk posted above is one I've been pondering over for a while now and that should do ya a grand jobby in that space for 1 or 2 small plants. Anyhow best of with this and tell your mate not to worry about the oinkers, they make me laugh all bollox they spout about law breaking and when they`ve done you'll prolly get a kick in bollox and sent on your way. Don't sweat it till it happens and even then growing in that box is hardly worth sweating over even if it did happen tell your mate.
The light I got for my space mate and it is a great bit of kit! Hps done me well but the e line 265 is defo better quality bud just lower yield as went from 600whps to 265 led, however the colour and density has also majorly improved although yield defo dropped a fair bit.. you should defo look at getting one to try 2 scoops just to compare would help me out loads lol this will be a great fun build will sit in and watch it unfold hopefully be havesting buds in no time
I've tried 3 or 4 different LED grow lights in past and all decent spec but no way could i get close to what i get with my hps light in yield, i mean i swapped out my 400hps for a 300watt Samsung quantum led and i swapped a 600hps for 450 or 480 watter cree cobs type led etc etc and no way could i get close to my hps yields in this space and i can`t afford to lose yields mate its only a small space as is and i smoke an oz weekly along with making tinctures it doesn't last. Last time i swapped out my 400hps for 300watt draw Samsung lm301b quantum board and grew out same plant more than once and my yields was half hps, i mean yes i here many say they get bigger yields than more powerful hps lighting, but like fuck can i get close to my hps yields running an led light, then again it kinda always flummoxed me how lesser watts could produce more bud than more wattage, im not saying it can`t be done by some growers faffing around training this way and that but your average Joe Bloggs nah man, im still far from sold about led being a best light for growing bud hence my hps light & led combo. :Stoned:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 6):
Vador (Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:03 am) • biosynthetic (Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 am) • Dexy (Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:09 am) • Stickylemonz (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:19 pm) • Herbalist (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:46 pm) • Wrh (Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:39 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Same same @2-Scoops, I’ve fallen for the marketing for led in the past and got stung so lost trust in the whole thing.
Recently upgraded to IS xbars though and can honestly say they are performing as well as hps, probably better tbh.
Usually I’d go 250w mh, to 400w hps and finish with 600w hps, with the blue cheese got 500 odd grams of bud and loads of tiny popcorn.
Just finished growing out the blue cheese clones and mum under the x bars, to be fair as well it wasn’t the best grow to be judging the new lights with as I had setbacks and didn’t get to scrog them like I normally would so feel like I lost some yield there.
to start with I had the lights at 80% but after speaking to rich found out I could lower the lights more and dim them down more, ended up with them on 50% at 6” from canopy which works out at 240w total draw from two x bars, I got it all chopped, dried and into curing and well fuck me it weighed in just a little heavier than under hps, this time though the popcorn is much more dense and useable. I haven’t weighed the popcorn yet but I can see there is definitely more of it than last time.

Just started a new scrog under the xbars so this time round I’ve kept the light at 50% so will be interested to see if it performs as well but for my first time under the x bars I’m impressed, you just can’t get that sort of light spread from a single hps in a 1.2x1.2

I think the difference is nowadays the leds are actually designed for growing whereas before they were just using off the shelf components that weren’t really that close to the spectrum we need.

Early days still for me but after one grow under the xbars I’d say they are definitely better than hps for my situation, maybe in a small area hps might still outperform though I really couldn’t tell you, would be interesting to see though
These users thanked the author Vador for the post (total 4):
2-Scoops (Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 am) • biosynthetic (Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 am) • Herbalist (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:46 pm) • Wrh (Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:39 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Vador wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:29 am
I think the difference is nowadays the leds are actually designed for growing whereas before they were just using off the shelf components that weren’t really that close to the spectrum we need.
I dont know about that one Vador maybe or maybe not. The lm301b is prolly most used Samsung chip for growing just cus its been around much longer and technically its never been marketed as grow light LED chip like lm301h is, but i read the lm301b produces 2.9 umol in comparison to the lm301h which is slightly higher 3.1umol, but yes lm301b is prolly only biggest selling cus its only been around much longer than the horticultural lm301h chipset. Summink else i read was the lm301h is just the rebranded lm301b with a sulfur resistant coating added life expectancy or summink like that. Take note of last paragraph at page bottom here in link, more or less confirming what im saying here basically https://www.litescience.com/blog/whats- ... m301h.html

The lm301h evo your using in x-bar i think thats prolly just a jazzed up lm301b chipset too that has a few swazzed up with bits and bats added to make it a bit more efficient.

Same with the lm301b evo and lm301hevo look same chip but different marketing i think mate, basically one is marketed to horticultural game so uses figures that relevant to that game like ppf & ppe (umol) and other is marketed to anything else except horticulture so uses words like lumens and lm per watt, same fucking chipset though of that im near on sure, they just market them differently to what market they are aiming at.

lm301b evo figures https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/mi ... m301b-evo/ & lm301h evo figures https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/mi ... m301h-evo/ pretty sure these are same tech shit but different marketing bro.

Put simply its all about the same old chipset, the magic lm301b with a little added jazz & swazziness to get more of your hard earned cash and in reality all will perform very much close as dam it same, when growing weed your outcome will be near as much same end result. See this part of game i dont like, then again it happens in all parts of weed growing industry from weed ferts to lighting everyone is out to take more and more of the growers cash and a little name change with a few selective words to jazz shit up easily does that, cus us dopey pot-heads are right dopey gits at times we all fall for it.

Ranting and raving done mate, fuck knows if its accurate its just crap ive read so it is in my mind :surrender: so make of that what you like.

I think LED grow lights have been bang on for growing weed years Vador. They're just not for me as a standalone grow light, i like the combo led and hps, best of both worlds hey. :hungry:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 3):
Vador (Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:52 am) • Herbalist (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:46 pm) • biosynthetic (Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:46 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Thanks for the info dude, totally agree with what your saying though, seen it so many times where it’s all about taking your money. I’ve not done any research into the chip sets but clearly you have so I will take that onboard and have a little read for myself.
One thing I will add is that in my current setup due to stealth reasons any sort of hps is not acceptable due to the amount of air I need to shift for cooling, with these xbars they run so cool my fans are running much slower now so I can go unnoticed, before with hps you could hear the groom from anywhere in the house. Also the rh would drop below 40% with hps, I don’t know for sure but my theory is that will keep drawing the moisture from the buds and stop them swelling up. Definitely had more swollen buds under led this time but like I say it’s early days, 1 grow isn’t enough got to keep going and see what happens in the future, personally I think soon I’ll be smashing all my old grows.
Basically if it wasn’t for led I would have had to pack away 2 and a bit weeks ago, so in that respect for me they are paying for themselves now.
I think it comes down to circumstances as well, like I mentioned the light spread with these panels is far superior to a single hps in 1.2 squared.
One final note is that now it’s costing me £20 in electric a week to run my whole operation, understandably it would take a long time to recoup the savings over hps but after the initial investment it’s at least bought the weekly cost down and made it more manageable.

Some food for thought as well, if you switch back to a mh for the last couple of weeks flowering you see increased trichome production, while the led bud was packed with trichomes the mh did bring out more at the end, some supplemental lighting would probably help I guess
These users thanked the author Vador for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:46 pm) • biosynthetic (Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:58 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Yes defo a big advantage to LED is how easy it is to keep your environment bang on @Vador
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Herbalist (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:46 pm) • Vador (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:50 pm)

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

2-Scoops wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:43 am
Stickylemonz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:09 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
I've tried 3 or 4 different LED grow lights in past and all decent spec but no way could i get close to what i get with my hps light in yield, i mean i swapped out my 400hps for a 300watt Samsung quantum led and i swapped a 600hps for 450 or 480 watter cree cobs type led etc etc and no way could i get close to my hps yields in this space and i can`t afford to lose yields mate its only a small space as is and i smoke an oz weekly along with making tinctures it doesn't last. Last time i swapped out my 400hps for 300watt draw Samsung lm301b quantum board and grew out same plant more than once and my yields was half hps, i mean yes i here many say they get bigger yields than more powerful hps lighting, but like fuck can i get close to my hps yields running an led light, then again it kinda always flummoxed me how lesser watts could produce more bud than more wattage, im not saying it can`t be done by some growers faffing around training this way and that but your average Joe Bloggs nah man, im still far from sold about led being a best light for growing bud hence my hps light & led combo. :Stoned:
I agree mate my hps was big yield! And yeh no that makes total sense you haven’t lots of space to be getting a lot less then your use to! Ahhh see if I could keep temps down hps and led would be good just no way could afford to run and air condition to keep it cool as my shed is crazy temps at the minute
These users thanked the author Stickylemonz for the post (total 3):
2-Scoops (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:32 pm) • Herbalist (Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:46 pm) • Vador (Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

2-Scoops wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 pm
Yes defo a big advantage to LED is how easy it is to keep your environment bang on @Vador
Without a doubt, and that one thing alone I feel is just going to improve my end product.
Hps has done me well over the years though in smaller spaces like in my wardrobe I just can’t fault it, as soon as I got a bigger tent noticed the expected yields were just too low, if I can keep myself smoking in a wardrobe you’d think a 1.2x1.2 tent would keep me going all year but it still only just keeps me going, even tried a parabolic and while the spread was better penetration into the canopy suffered. Ended up with a load of good top buds but then loads of popcorn.

Basically there’s two options at the end of the day really isn’t there.
1. You go the route of cheaper equipment which is still tried and tested over generations of growers, you’ll save money on your initial purchase but the running costs will be higher and you’ll need more air movement to keep it cool. The environment can be harder to keep under control and plants can suffer.

2. You go the more expensive route which after the initial investment should be cheaper to run(based on xbars, I don’t know enough about other brands to comment) you won’t need as much airflow to keep them cool, due to the lights running cooler it can make your environment more manageable. That being said I never had to monitor humidity levels as much as I do now, to be fair though touch wood I haven’t seen bud rot since leaving the wardrobe either. There is still a risk of damage to the plants but that is mainly from light intensity rather than heat.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what you budget allows, hps can always be replaced with led in the future
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
biosynthetic (Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:00 pm)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Hope I didn’t sound like I was kicking off again @2-Scoops lol

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Vador wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:15 pm
Hope I didn’t sound like I was kicking off again @2-Scoops lol
Lol you animal. So yes tbh i do have 250watts of invisible sun led power to use in that space and in reality its more than enough for a floor space size 55cm x 110cm. I just haven't got balls to risk losing half my yield which is what's happened every time I've attempted to use LED, this was all done running higher powered around LED with great ratings like 500watts of cree cobs, 300watt of Samsung quantum lm301b amongst another few and for life of me i just cant see 250watts of virtually same light as the 300watter Samsung just mentioned which gave me like half bat in weight improving things. Yes i know we can train plants all day long to produce more buddage, but im a lazy grower, i do a bit of lst a bit lollipopping etc and jobs done. Theirs no way i could scrog the space cus i cant get to half of it only to water. End of shift im thinking of putting a wardrobe grow together at some point so it might be a go`er in their. Cheers mukka.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Vador (Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:18 pm)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”