Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

New shed build

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
FX
Known User

New shed build

Post by FX »

Okay, so I have bought a new shed and plan on kitting it out as a groom.
I have this:

I have spoken to keeno and gotten some advice on insulation but first I have to get power and water to the shed.

I have a place to take a spur and water in the house, from the cupboard that my gas boiler is in, it obviously has power and cold water feed.

I need some advice from a sparky as I can't exactly get my landlord to wire it up for me lol.

I am planning on putting an outdoor tap and power socket on the wall outside where the boiler is, pretty straight forward stuff that I have done before. I am unsure if I should run steel armoured cable from the power socket to the shed or if normal ring main cable in a pipe would be more appropriate? I'm also planning on running an ethernet cable to the shed, the cables will be buried under the patio and up into the shed.
I'm planning on wiring a consumer unit into the shed and I guess I need to earth the metal of the shed too....

Any electrical advice would be appreciated as I want to do this properly from the start.
These users thanked the author FX for the post (total 5):
anova.330 (Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:36 pm) • Keeno (Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:44 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:46 pm) • Guest (Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:59 pm) • sybarite (Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:47 pm)
“Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated.” - Albert Einstein

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
FX
Known User

Re: New shed build

Post by FX »

I'm thinking of this for the consumer unit:

These users thanked the author FX for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:44 pm) • Guest (Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:04 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

If it's going underground, SWA.

If you want to span it along a catenary wire, hituf cable is sound.

I don't know what kind of power you want to run in there, but I would just make up a bit of hituf with a plug and socket on the ends from the outdoor wall mounted socket.

No need for a 40A CU in that metal shed.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 3):
FX (Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:15 pm) • Greenfingers (Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:41 pm) • Guest (Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:04 pm)

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

All my tents with lights on run at around 2.5 to 3.5 amps total so not a huge amount but I may want to have other stuff in there at some point and just want to do it properly...

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

I want to make sure the shed doesn't burn down and isn't going to accidentally become live...lol

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Had a look into it and yeah, a catenary wire and hituf should be adequate and a lot easier so I'll go for that....
Whats the best way to ground the shed itself?

Post by Guest »

FX wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:14 pm
Okay, so I have bought a new shed and plan on kitting it out as a groom.
I have this:

I have spoken to keeno and gotten some advice on insulation but first I have to get power and water to the shed.

I have a place to take a spur and water in the house, from the cupboard that my gas boiler is in, it obviously has power and cold water feed.

I need some advice from a sparky as I can't exactly get my landlord to wire it up for me lol.

I am planning on putting an outdoor tap and power socket on the wall outside where the boiler is, pretty straight forward stuff that I have done before. I am unsure if I should run steel armoured cable from the power socket to the shed or if normal ring main cable in a pipe would be more appropriate? I'm also planning on running an ethernet cable to the shed, the cables will be buried under the patio and up into the shed.
I'm planning on wiring a consumer unit into the shed and I guess I need to earth the metal of the shed too....

Any electrical advice would be appreciated as I want to do this properly from the start.
Same as I had mate installed.

Kit it out with something to stop noise, can be echo and tinny. I put YBS insulation and some foam sheeting.

I had a local guy off FB i slipped some extra cash to do it with a Consumer unit. Depends on how much power you'd be pulling....? I used to run a certain amount of one lead into my shed. 2 small tents and a heater in main room. Ahhh and now seen that bit........

Will this be on it's own outside?
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
FX (Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:06 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Post by Guest »

Also putting this up on myself was stressful, you'll need at least 2 people to make it with ease.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
FX (Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:06 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

FX wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:45 pm
I'm thinking of this for the consumer unit:

FX play safe brother ...

17th Edition Amendment 3 of BS 7671:2008 came into effect in July 2015 and stressed the importance of enhanced fire risk protection. 1st January 2016 marks the implementation of the switch to metal clad consumer units for all new electrical installations and designs.

Upto you mate
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
Guest (Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:35 pm)

GHO

Post by GHO »

6mm armoured is good for about 8000 watts off the top of my head, if the distance from your main unit to the shed is under 25 metres that'll be fine. It's nice to have a bit of headroom and you might as well stick to regs, no hassle then and you know it's done right. I agree 40a is overkill. Do it right though buddy, armoured all the way for me.
These users thanked the author GHO for the post:
Guest (Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:35 pm)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”