Welcome to the cannabis harvest, drying and curing section. Use this section to discuss techniques, ideas and anything else regarding harvesting, drying and curing cannabis plants. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

To flush or not to flush...

Discuss how to harvest, dry and cure cannabis
Tictok
Known User

To flush or not to flush...

Post by Tictok »

Hey GR420

Seeing as I seem to have dialled in a grow at last, I'm into week 7 of what will probably be around a 9 week strain (the one in my sig).

It's a soil grow using Guano Kalong 'organic' nutes, bat guano and lots of organic kelp liquid.

Still being new to this I have a couple of questions;

Should I flush and stop giving nutes or is that just the realm of coco/hydro growers using salt based nutes?

If I do need to stop the nutes and flush, when should I do it?

And lastly, the plant has been quite heavily defoliated, does this mean if I flush a week or two before harvest, will the remaining leaves all yellow and die? They are so frosty I would like to keep them for hash and I'm guessing I cannot do that if they are dead?!

Any advice would be much appreciated.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:14 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: To flush or not to flush...

Post by seymore_budz »

hey tictok,

Firstly, congratulations on a great little grow buddy! Looks fooking amazing :heart:

So, if you using the kalong range, I would finish off the last two weeks on taste improver only or plain water.

You're not flushing to improve anything but your soil will be loaded so no point spending money and time adding stuff that you don't need to.

As far as the sugar leaves are concerned, if they go yellow, it won't affect the crystals. You can shake that yellow material and it will produce the same as fresh material.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
Tictok (Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:12 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

WhIpLaSh

Post by WhIpLaSh »

It's a long-ish watch but very insightful. Make your own mind up if flushing is even necessary...

https://youtu.be/KTWfSjzqvLI
These users thanked the author WhIpLaSh for the post:
Tictok (Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:27 am)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

grumpygrower wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:33 pm
hey tictok,

Firstly, congratulations on a great little grow buddy! Looks fooking amazing :heart:

So, if you using the kalong range, I would finish off the last two weeks on taste improver only or plain water.

You're not flushing to improve anything but your soil will be loaded so no point spending money and time adding stuff that you don't need to.

As far as the sugar leaves are concerned, if they go yellow, it won't affect the crystals. You can shake that yellow material and it will produce the same as fresh material.
Thanks for your kind words mate, it's been a blast of a second grow, learnt a ton.

Great advice also, thank you. Surprising how these questions pop up as you reach a new stage and that's set me straight for completion hopefully. Nice one.

If the broad leaf pheno is a girl then that's going to be another beast if a plant!

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

WhIpLaSh wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:38 pm
It's a long-ish watch but very insightful. Make your own mind up if flushing is even necessary...

https://youtu.be/KTWfSjzqvLI
Thanks man, I'll check it out.

Kaka786
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kaka786 »

I’m just finishing off my second closet grow thanks for the advice

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Tictok wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:24 pm
Hey GR420

Seeing as I seem to have dialled in a grow at last, I'm into week 7 of what will probably be around a 9 week strain (the one in my sig).

It's a soil grow using Guano Kalong 'organic' nutes, bat guano and lots of organic kelp liquid.

Should I flush and stop giving nutes or is that just the realm of coco/hydro growers using salt based nutes?

And lastly, the plant has been quite heavily defoliated, does this mean if I flush a week or two before harvest, will the remaining leaves all yellow and die? They are so frosty I would like to keep them for hash and I'm guessing I cannot do that if they are dead?!

There's no need to flush in soil. I never have and never will with soil. I don't when growing fruit and veg in soil.

I know people do when growing with non-organic nutrients in systems like hydro or coir. I have grown once in coir and didn't flush. The smoke was smooth.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
Tictok (Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:58 pm)
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:17 pm
Tictok wrote:
Hey GR420

There's no need to flush in soil. I never have and never will with soil. I don't when growing fruit and veg in soil.

I know people do when growing with non-organic nutrients in systems like hydro or coir. I have grown once in coir and didn't flush. The smoke was smooth.
Cheers Aspie, flushing on this round was actually more trouble than it was worth so I'm inclined to agree with you. I went by the breeder timings (the other lesson learnt) and flushed at week 8 as it said it was a 9 week strain. Of course it wasn't ready at week 9 so I basically starved the poor plant right at the end when it should have been fattening up.

Won't make that mistake again.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:34 pm)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Tictok wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:01 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:17 pm
Tictok wrote:
Hey GR420

Cheers Aspie, flushing on this round was actually more trouble than it was worth so I'm inclined to agree with you. I went by the breeder timings (the other lesson learnt) and flushed at week 8 as it said it was a 9 week strain. Of course it wasn't ready at week 9 so I basically starved the poor plant right at the end when it should have been fattening up.

Won't make that mistake again.

The only time you should flush in soil is to clear out the nutrients in say, veg, when you've fucked up, but that doesn't work all the time. But as for flushing towards the end like coir growers do, then don't bother.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
Tictok (Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:10 pm)

MrHash
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by MrHash »

:soil: :running-around:

Return to “Harvesting, Drying & Curing Cannabis”