Welcome to the cannabis harvest, drying and curing section. Use this section to discuss techniques, ideas and anything else regarding harvesting, drying and curing cannabis plants. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Drying Temps and Humidity?

Discuss how to harvest, dry and cure cannabis
wutang
Known User

Re: Drying Temps and Humidity?

Post by wutang »

Keeno wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 pm
wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:04 pm
I've shifted my heater to kick in at 16c and turn off at 18c

Max temp to 21c

RH to 60%

Extraction fan and filter set to low as possible but still maintaining neg pressure and max setting to 100% incase of humidity build up.

@Keeno the fan controller you and @GMO recommended had been a blessing this grow. Much love for that.

I'm drying the branches hanging upside down with most leaves in tact including some fans but I'll try get rid of them when I get a chance to go back in.

@Point 5 and @Keeno how many days does it take you to try yours at those temps and RH? Do you wet or dry trim..just trying gauge my drying time.

Cheers
Id set the controller to turn off at 18c. Ive definitely seen better smell carry through drying with lower temps.

At 16-18c and rh of around 60% im normally good for jars 6-8 days in. It will normally still get above 65% in the jars especially after the first 12-24 hours of being jarred up so mine go back on the nets for a few hours if this is the case.

Your heater if its a fan heater set it to low heat setting. You don't want that on full heat in there while drying.
My fan heater turns off when it reaches 18c, or do you mean set 'Temp' to 18c as well instead of my current 21c?

Yep its a fan heater, it was 1kw and 2kw settings, so I should put it to 1kw? I was going to use a 1.5kw oil rad but i feared that temps may be slightly uncontrollable as it maintains heat for a long time etc.

Unfortunately I'm in a shed so it seems its the best option i have.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 pm) • GMO (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:33 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:28 pm
Keeno wrote:
wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:04 pm
I've shifted my heater to kick in at 16c and turn off at 18c

Max temp to 21c

RH to 60%

Extraction fan and filter set to low as possible but still maintaining neg pressure and max setting to 100% incase of humidity build up.

@Keeno the fan controller you and @GMO recommended had been a blessing this grow. Much love for that.

I'm drying the branches hanging upside down with most leaves in tact including some fans but I'll try get rid of them when I get a chance to go back in.

@Point 5 and @Keeno how many days does it take you to try yours at those temps and RH? Do you wet or dry trim..just trying gauge my drying time.

Cheers
Id set the controller to turn off at 18c. Ive definitely seen better smell carry through drying with lower temps.

At 16-18c and rh of around 60% im normally good for jars 6-8 days in. It will normally still get above 65% in the jars especially after the first 12-24 hours of being jarred up so mine go back on the nets for a few hours if this is the case.

Your heater if its a fan heater set it to low heat setting. You don't want that on full heat in there while drying.
My fan heater turns off when it reaches 18c, or do you mean set 'Temp' to 18c as well instead of my current 21c?

Yep its a fan heater, it was 1kw and 2kw settings, so I should put it to 1kw? I was going to use a 1.5kw oil rad but i feared that temps may be slightly uncontrollable as it maintains heat for a long time etc.

If you can keep the temps from going above 18c in there altogether while drying you will do better. Ive been keeping mine at 16c in my latest harvests and its definitely better.

Fan heaters do 2 jobs well. Heat and they also dry the air as well as any dehumidifier ive used. On 1kw it will be on more which will keep your actual rh more stable and you won't have updrafts of extremely hot air floating about in there hitting your plants. If it keeps temps around 16c at 1kw its spot on. You do not want your rh below 55% though. Thats the minimum you want the buds when going into jars.

Little tip. When you do jar up burp them indoors not in your shed. When you burp your jars if the air is say 80% rh the buds will suck that moisture up. This is especially important if you jar the bud and it needs a few more hours drying if rh goes above 65% in the jars. If you will be drying it in the shed for a few hours should this happen be sure to set temps and rh in the tent/drying space before you put the bud back in there.

You mentioned using packs above. I dont like them at all. Adding or removing moisture artificially is what you are trying to avoid. Try get the drying spot on and you won't need the packs at all. Them packs imo should only be used if you overdry.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:44 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Keeno wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:42 pm
wutang wrote:
Keeno wrote:

If you can keep the temps from going above 18c in there altogether while drying you will do better. Ive been keeping mine at 16c in my latest harvests and its definitely better.

Fan heaters do 2 jobs well. Heat and they also dry the air as well as any dehumidifier ive used. On 1kw it will be on more which will keep your actual rh more stable and you won't have updrafts of extremely hot air floating about in there hitting your plants. If it keeps temps around 16c at 1kw its spot on. You do not want your rh below 55% though. Thats the minimum you want the buds when going into jars.

Little tip. When you do jar up burp them indoors not in your shed. When you burp your jars if the air is say 80% rh the buds will suck that moisture up. This is especially important if you jar the bud and it needs a few more hours drying if rh goes above 65% in the jars. If you will be drying it in the shed for a few hours should this happen be sure to set temps and rh in the tent/drying space before you put the bud back in there.

You mentioned using packs above. I dont like them at all. Adding or removing moisture artificially is what you are trying to avoid. Try get the drying spot on and you won't need the packs at all. Them packs imo should only be used if you overdry.
Thanks K. Much appreciated.

Sorry I'm still trying to work out the way the controller works too. I'll set the Temp to 18c in that case and leave the heater to come on at 16c and stop at 18c (+2 hysteris or whatever its called). Would that be OK?

RH is sitting at 60% at the moment and that's what Ive set it to on the controller without much fluctuation so I'm happy with that.

I'll be bowl trimming in the tent once dry and then jarring up. Then bringing them in the house to burp. Thanks for the heads up on the burning outdoors part.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:37 pm)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

normal room temp here say 20 ish.... exhaust fan on all spread out on trays buds only.... 10 days its ready for the big tub to be cured....i poke it with a stick toss it daily its stays sticky as fuk and cant leave the gaff for the smell :Stoned:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 2):
wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:14 pm) • Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:00 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:51 pm
Keeno wrote:
wutang wrote:

Sorry I'm still trying to work out the way the controller works too. I'll set the Temp to 18c in that case and leave the heater to come on at 16c and stop at 18c (+2 hysteris or whatever its called). Would that be OK?

RH is sitting at 60% at the moment and that's what Ive set it to on the controller without much fluctuation so I'm happy with that.

I'll be bowl trimming in the tent once dry and then jarring up. Then bringing them in the house to burp. Thanks for the heads up on the burning outdoors part.
Yeah set to 18c.

The hysteris do like you mention.

Ill personally be attempting colder dries in the future. In my head drying at real low temps will limit the terps burning off while drying. As long as the rh is in range I cant see why the but wouldn't get to the correct ranges when drying, only slower.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Keeno wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:40 pm
wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:51 pm
Keeno wrote:

Yeah set to 18c.

The hysteris do like you mention.

Ill personally be attempting colder dries in the future. In my head drying at real low temps will limit the terps burning off while drying. As long as the rh is in range I cant see why the but wouldn't get to the correct ranges when drying, only slower.
Thanks bro. Look forward to your experimenting. I only go through a grow a year atm so my turnaround for experimenting is low :lol:

Thanks for your help bro
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:00 pm)

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

@wutang I dry very simular to keeno around same temps and time.
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post:
wutang (Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:38 am)
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Point 5 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:35 am
Thanks mate. Lets see how this harvest turns out with a fan heater in the mix. Probably still going to be better than what I got previously (over dried, stressed out and tasteless smoke).

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

wutang wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 am
Point 5 wrote:
Thanks mate. Lets see how this harvest turns out with a fan heater in the mix. Probably still going to be better than what I got previously (over dried, stressed out and tasteless smoke).
Tbh drying i find a bit harder than growing. Growingbthe plant seems to make sense in my head and i feel i have some idea whats going on. Drying i have jarred too early or I've over dried it. Its only the past 3 or 4 harvests I think i have started to get a feel for the process.
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post:
wutang (Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:53 am)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Point 5 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 am
wutang wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 am
Point 5 wrote:
Tbh drying i find a bit harder than growing. Growingbthe plant seems to make sense in my head and i feel i have some idea whats going on. Drying i have jarred too early or I've over dried it. Its only the past 3 or 4 harvests I think i have started to get a feel for the process.
I think I can manage jarring too early, as I've been trying a few test popcorn nugs..and the RH reached 99% when jarred. So Ive been opening overnight and closong etc.

I hit the test nugs, lke you said on chat or a post one day "it works" :lol: when you had a test smoke..reminded me of you when I loaded it on my billy bong.

Jarring too early as long as I can monitor RH and then take them out of jar, I'm happy. But over drying, I think its much harder..and pretty much too late unless you start adding stuff in jars. :idn: Im a newbie but thats whats in my head
Point 5 (Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:03 am)

Return to “Harvesting, Drying & Curing Cannabis”