Welcome to the cannabis harvest, drying and curing section. Use this section to discuss techniques, ideas and anything else regarding harvesting, drying and curing cannabis plants. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Drying Temps and Humidity?

Discuss how to harvest, dry and cure cannabis
wutang
Known User

Drying Temps and Humidity?

Post by wutang »

Hey all

What temps and humidity do you aim for when drying? And how long does it roughly take you?

I've just hung my harvest to dry. Im outdoors in the UK in a shed, so its gone into my grow tent to dry.

Im going to dry trim so the sugar leaves are still on and some fan leaves due to the time I had.

I've had to put a fan heater in with a controller. Ive tried to keep it as far away as possible from the bud. I kno2me its not a good thing to do but I have no choice as the temps are too cold atm.

Currently the heater kicks in at 17c and rises to 19c and stops. RH the max is set at 55% and max temp is 22c.

TIA

Wu
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:07 am)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Keeno
Site Admin

Re: Drying Temps and Humidity?

Post by Keeno »

You are not far off the right ranges there. I aim for 16c and 60% humidity. You don't want to start curing if the bud is over 65% or lower than 55%.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:41 am)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Keeno wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:09 am
You are not far off the right ranges there. I aim for 16c and 60% humidity. You don't want to start curing if the bud is over 65% or lower than 55%.
Thank you brother. This grow is the best bud I've ever grown so I am trying not to ruin it. If I jar it too early and the RH of the bud is high, can I just continue opening the jars and moving them around for longer periods until the RH is in the right zone? Or does that still trap the chlorophyll in the bud?
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 am)

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:44 am
Keeno wrote:
Thank you brother. This grow is the best bud I've ever grown so I am trying not to ruin it. If I jar it too early and the RH of the bud is high, can I just continue opening the jars and moving them around for longer periods until the RH is in the right zone? Or does that still trap the chlorophyll in the bud?
If they were too wet in the jars I'd tip them out onto the tabletop for a bit then put them back in. Do it twice a day until they seem right.
I know some people say boveda packs take the smell away of weed but there's no scientific evidence for that and I use them in as many jars I can and 6 month old weed rolls great.
These users thanked the author ohlordyeah_420 for the post (total 2):
wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:59 am) • Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am)
diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

ohlordyeah_420 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:17 am
wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:44 am
Keeno wrote:
If they were too wet in the jars I'd tip them out onto the tabletop for a bit then put them back in. Do it twice a day until they seem right.
I know some people say boveda packs take the smell away of weed but there's no scientific evidence for that and I use them in as many jars I can and 6 month old weed rolls great.
Cheers dude.

I use the integra packs but I'm not sure they work so well. I tried some buds in a jar to test straight off the tree but maybe the buds were too wet at 99% RH that the pack couldn't cope.

I've heard the same about boveda so I went with integra :idn:

Are they supposed to regulate RH and bring it to the desired level on the pack?
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

As Lordy says if RH is high just get the buds back out again. I normally have to do this after the first 12-24 hours in the jars for at least a couple of hours as the RH will creep up the first time I jar them.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:35 pm) • ohlordyeah_420 (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 pm)

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

Good advice tgere on the tipping out of jars.

I try to dry between 14 to 17c with 55% to 60% rh.

I know the bovida packs are either liked or hated. I'm in the like camp but try not to use the packs till I know the weed is dry proper amd ready for the jars
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:33 pm) • wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:36 pm)
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

I've shifted my heater to kick in at 16c and turn off at 18c

Max temp to 21c

RH to 60%

Extraction fan and filter set to low as possible but still maintaining neg pressure and max setting to 100% incase of humidity build up.

@Keeno the fan controller you and @GMO recommended had been a blessing this grow. Much love for that.

I'm drying the branches hanging upside down with most leaves in tact including some fans but I'll try get rid of them when I get a chance to go back in.

@Point 5 and @Keeno how many days does it take you to try yours at those temps and RH? Do you wet or dry trim..just trying gauge my drying time.

Cheers
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:14 pm) • GMO (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:20 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

wutang wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:04 pm
I've shifted my heater to kick in at 16c and turn off at 18c

Max temp to 21c

RH to 60%

Extraction fan and filter set to low as possible but still maintaining neg pressure and max setting to 100% incase of humidity build up.

@Keeno the fan controller you and @GMO recommended had been a blessing this grow. Much love for that.

I'm drying the branches hanging upside down with most leaves in tact including some fans but I'll try get rid of them when I get a chance to go back in.

@Point 5 and @Keeno how many days does it take you to try yours at those temps and RH? Do you wet or dry trim..just trying gauge my drying time.

Cheers
Id set the controller to turn off at 18c. Ive definitely seen better smell carry through drying with lower temps.

At 16-18c and rh of around 60% im normally good for jars 6-8 days in. It will normally still get above 65% in the jars especially after the first 12-24 hours of being jarred up so mine go back on the nets for a few hours if this is the case.

Your heater if its a fan heater set it to low heat setting. You don't want that on full heat in there while drying.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
GMO (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:20 pm) • wutang (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

agreed with the above
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Keeno (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Return to “Harvesting, Drying & Curing Cannabis”