Welcome to the organic cannabis growing section. Use this section to discuss all aspects of growing cannabis organically. Whether you are new to organic growing or wish to share your experience of growing cannabis plants in living soil, amended soil or anything. This is the section for you. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

worm castings - vermicomposting - worm bins

Discuss organic cannabis growing
ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Re: worm castings - vermicomposting - worm bins

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Thanks Aspie. I remember you mentioning the fish market boxes before πŸ‘
Any ideas what to do with all the old soil? Seems odd throwing it all out.
diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁒󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Philzon   Growroom420 Discord
The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

ohlordyeah_420 wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 pm
If you haven't a garden, then take it to the tip or give it to a family member who may have a garden. I shake off as much as I can and dump it in the garden. The root ball goes into the green bin for the dustbin men to take away. The soil is of no use to composting worms.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Hobbit
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hobbit »

All top advice from Aspie.
There is no such thing as old soil bro, least not in what your talking about. Your soil should be used again and again mate it get better with every cycle. In fact its not until around the 4th cycle it really comes into its own. Remember its a whole eco system down there, the longer you use it the more balanced it becomes, starting again all the time with fresh soil means starting a whole new eco system again and so your always unbalanced if ya get me. Dont worry about any roots left in the pots mate, its all organic matter for the microbes and there are certain mycorrhizal fungi that actually burrow into your root system and form a symbiotic relationship, by removing all the roots you also move these colonies. Check this out bro
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Hobbit wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 am
There is no such thing as old soil bro, least not in what your talking about. Your soil should be used again and again mate it get better with every cycle. In fact its not until around the 4th cycle it really comes into its own. Remember its a whole eco system down there, the longer you use it the more balanced it becomes, starting again all the time with fresh soil means starting a whole new eco system again and so your always unbalanced if ya get me. Dont worry about any roots left in the pots mate, its all organic matter for the microbes and there are certain mycorrhizal fungi that actually burrow into your root system and form a symbiotic relationship, by removing all the roots you also move these colonies. Check this out bro
What's always concerned me about reusing the soil is the NPK imbalance.

I normally use Verve, dolomite lime, perlite in 11 litre pots and grow autos.

If I were to reuse it, it could either be too strong for the seedling, or more PK in the soil than N.

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

The Aspie Toker wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:14 pm
Hobbit wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 am
What's always concerned me about reusing the soil is the NPK imbalance.

I normally use Verve, dolomite lime, perlite in 11 litre pots and grow autos.

If I were to reuse it, it could either be too strong for the seedling, or more PK in the soil than N.
Hey mate fair thinking, in organics if your soil life is balanced this should never be a problem wich is why not upsetting the microbes is soo important. It is extremely hard to over cook anything in organics. There is only so much fertility you can acheive, due to CEC (cation exchange capacity) in your soil. if your exchange sites are holding more P or K due to your amendments being stronger in those nutrients this wont effect a seedling negatively as it will still have ample acsess to N. A plant will only uptake what it needs, the same way your body will only take what it needs from the food you eat, thats why if you have a balanced diet vitamin pills are just expensive piss that you flush down a toilet. This is also why your fungi are extremely important, fungi populations or fungi dominant soils are harder to achieve due to their prefered food source but unlike bacteria they can directly source nutrients and water directly to your plant as in the case of mycorizal fungi.Bacteria have to store nutrient and basically shit, be eaten and shit out or just simply die and decay for nutrient they store to become availabe to your plant. Plant roots excrete exudates (chemicals) that actually attract microbes that will provide what ever it is they are requiring at certain stages of growth, and this relationship goes beyond nutrients. In the case of attack from insects, animals, or pathogens plants will produce exudates in the soil and phllosphere, which can travel on the breeze along the hyphae and warn neighbouring plants of danger. Even more exudates are released in to the soil and via the phyllosphere to attract organisms or insects that will be beneficial in counter attack on whatever the danger may be WOW. My current ec of my soil is 9.1. Can you imaging having an ec of 9.1 with synthetics, theyd be fried lol. Rememmber its an eco system with all the amazing and awesome complexities of any eco system, only takes a humans and our ignorance to fek it all up lol. Something that really blows me away, is that through fungal hyphae plants can actually exchange nutrients and water with each other. Just let that sink in and be humbled for a minute. In the case of a forests,
( which are fungal dominant soils) the hyphae may extend miles meaning it is possible for a tree/plant to be accessing nutrients that may be lacking in its immediate vicinity, from miles away. When I think about this I find it hard to contain my awe, my emotions and my gratitude to part of something symbiotic and soo amazing.

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Another thing to note Aspie is that especially in the world of weed nutrients, there are very few nutrients that are claiming to be organic that are truly organic. Read the fine print and it often says organic based, which is not the same. A quik read of the analysis also demonstrates this. Sly are the marketers.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 pm
If you haven't a garden, then take it to the tip or give it to a family member who may have a garden. I shake off as much as I can and dump it in the garden. The root ball goes into the green bin for the dustbin men to take away. The soil is of no use to composting worms.

Hey aspie :) be careful what you put in your bin mate, ours here get audited and a local girl got caught because of this. I now put all mine in black bags, double bag. Allow to rott down itself a little and dump in layby bins.
Sounds overkill I know but the buggers take through our rubbish!
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Black Grouse wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:11 am
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 pm

Hey aspie :) be careful what you put in your bin mate, ours here get audited and a local girl got caught because of this. I now put all mine in black bags, double bag. Allow to rott down itself a little and dump in layby bins.
Sounds overkill I know but the buggers take through our rubbish!
I can't see why they would audit the bin around here, and even if they did, it's just roots. There's no way of telling what the plant was as I don't leave any leaves behind.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

The councils all audit bins aspie, part of their recycling campaign.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Black Grouse wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:22 am
The councils all audit bins aspie, part of their recycling campaign.
I know, mate, but what can they tell from a rootball? It's in the correct bin along with other garden material.

Return to β€œOrganic Cannabis Growing”