Welcome to the organic cannabis growing section. Use this section to discuss all aspects of growing cannabis organically. Whether you are new to organic growing or wish to share your experience of growing cannabis plants in living soil, amended soil or anything. This is the section for you. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Organic teas

Discuss organic cannabis growing
Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Re: Organic teas

Post by Captain Beefheart »

back about 1978 i remember my uncle dewi making up a organic tea from sheep shit,he had marrow`s like jeff capes legs :lol: + his runner beans really flowered like no other + the fruits were nom nom,his dope wernt bad either :lol: sheep shit a 25 litre drum..1 pair of your nans tights. sheep shit brew will be born. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 3):
GMO (Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:36 pm) • Guest (Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:03 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:43 pm)

Horse Badorties

Post by Horse Badorties »

The Unconventional Farmer had a lot of great stuff for organics, too. The site went down due to a family tragedy, but someone seems to have copied it.

https://www.unconventionalfarmsupply.co ... rmer-links
These users thanked the author Horse Badorties for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:13 am) • GMO (Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Horse Badorties wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:42 pm
The Unconventional Farmer had a lot of great stuff for organics, too. The site went down due to a family tragedy, but someone seems to have copied it.

https://www.unconventionalfarmsupply.co ... rmer-links
book marked. thanks a bunch
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Horse Badorties (Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:40 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Post by Guest »

Captain Beefheart wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:27 pm
back about 1978 i remember my uncle dewi making up a organic tea from sheep shit,he had marrow`s like jeff capes legs :lol: + his runner beans really flowered like no other + the fruits were nom nom,his dope wernt bad either :lol: sheep shit a 25 litre drum..1 pair of your nans tights. sheep shit brew will be born. :oik!:
I have been told by a couple of sources not to brew using any shit, not unless its been hot composted, as you can pass nasty pathogens into the tea.

I did notice there is such a thing as manure teas/brews.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:06 pm
Captain Beefheart wrote:
I have been told by a couple of sources not to brew using any shit, not unless its been hot composted, as you can pass nasty pathogens into the tea.

uncle dewi had a 5 gallon drum up the garden bach with a pair of tights full of sheep shit,very concentrated he`d leave it soaking in there all summer long,once weekly we`d feed the certain plants a few jugs of the tea...... then top it back up with hosepipe leave until the following week and repeat,his garden flourished and the runner beans were plenty. over 1 season he`d change the stoking full of shit once. :oik!: i wouldnt keep it inside tho and he had a piece of ply board as a lid on the can. :lol: duw duw takes me back aye. :Stoned:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:
Guest (Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:13 am)

Post by Guest »

Captain Beefheart wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:21 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:06 pm
Captain Beefheart wrote:

uncle dewi had a 5 gallon drum up the garden bach with a pair of tights full of sheep shit,very concentrated he`d leave it soaking in there all summer long,once weekly we`d feed the certain plants a few jugs of the tea...... then top it back up with hosepipe leave until the following week and repeat,his garden flourished and the runner beans were plenty. over 1 season he`d change the stoking full of shit once. :oik!: i wouldnt keep it inside tho and he had a piece of ply board as a lid on the can. :lol: duw duw takes me back aye. :Stoned:
Sounds like an idea. Maybe this is s fungal dominated type brew and he used to use it on alkaline loving plants maybe?

Thanks for the info.

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

Hey bro,

yeah i've been playing around with organic teas in coco over the last 6 months. If you haven't already found it Jeff Lowenfels "Teaming with microbes" give you a really good introduction into microbes and organic teas. He includes a bunch of recipes too.

I personally, have been making my teas the following way,
Hardware:
5 gallon bucket
2 port aquarium pump
2 one way air flow valves (so you dont get want going into your pump)
2 air stones. I use a starfish and a flexi tube option...But if you have any spare 4mm feed line you make your own.
2 lengths of 4mm plastic line.

There are plenty of videos on youtube that show you how to hook it all up. You can get all the hardware from an online aquarium or pet store.

Basic Tea ingredients:
worm casting (usually quarter cup)
Compost (quarter - half a cup) I use 2 kinds, chicken compost and garden. But straight bagged garden variety will do.
2 tablespoons of black strap molasses
2 tablespoons of fish and seaweed (most garden stores will carry this, you can always just get liquid seaweed)

If you want to get fancy...which I usually do, you can add any of the additional ingredients:
A teaspoon of a mycorrhiza additive..preferable containing Endomycorrhiza. You can find this stuff on amazon. You can find varieties that are amazing for seedling inoculation. There's a local hippy society that make their own, and i buy it off them online.
Half a shot of alfalfa meal for natural triacontanol
Coconut water powder fro enzymes
Aloe powder for Salicylic acid.
Half a shot glass of garden lime
Kelp powder, half a shot glass

I have used all these ingredients in my teas in coco with salt nutes. I top feed 1 liter per plant, once a week...personally I think I get a big step up in flavor and my plants are super healthy. The downside..due to all the compost and shit..you get fungus nats. So you got to deal with those little buggers.

So far i haven't killed my plants or seen anything damaging to them. :Stoned:
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post:
kbag (Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

GHO

Post by GHO »

GMO wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:34 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
GMO wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 am

Thats why im asking, ive heard alot of different opinions on why aeration in needed or dangerous

i dont really like the word tea myself cos i get the vibe that yous steeping something and then removing the source in a fairly holistic approach

im kinda more throwing shit into a bucket and letting it sit for X amount of time then agitate together and ill usually use the lot as a bit of a top dress at the same time. Im usually using EM inoculation tho with all the brewing so im fairly confident with what would brew anaerobically it would still be beneficial :idn: so many tools and factors :D
You get Humic and Fulvic acids from anaerobic conditions. So not all bad anyway I'd say. I think using vegetative material and steeping is a different ball game. You're leaching that nutrients out? Right

Don't know where tea came from, but the aeration is incredibly important. That's why a sitting Compost Brew only lasts for 24 hours at the most. So we can't store a Brew.
Fulvic and humic acid dont occur in nature. They can be derived from organic deposits but the havent been discovered in the form of humic of fulvic acid

Umm, I have some brews that have like 2 year shelf life

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle
You can extract fulvic from corn buddy, I've a source for this, it does however come with a minute amount of arsenic. Although it's only a trace amount I won't use it because I don't like the idea of arsenic in anything.
These users thanked the author GHO for the post:
GMO (Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:50 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

GHO wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:19 am
You can extract fulvic from corn buddy, I've a source for this, it does however come with a minute amount of arsenic. Although it's only a trace amount I won't use it because I don't like the idea of arsenic in anything.
You can create fulvic and humic acid, the recent research is kinda proving that the acids are only attainable through man made refining processes. they arent found in this form naturally

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Methods for extracting molecules of fulvic acid from a humus material such as oxidized lignite are disclosed. The humus material is mixed with water to solubilize at least some of the fulvic acid molecules. A first filtration apparatus (which may be an ultrafiltration apparatus) may be used to separate at least some of the solubilized fulvic acid molecules from the humin and at least some of the humic acid molecules. A second filtration apparatus (which may be an ultrafiltration apparatus or a nanfiltration apparatus) may be used to then separate the fulvic acid molecules from most of the water and any remaining impurities. A digestion step may also be carried out where microorganisms are brought into contact with the mixture in the presence of oxygen in order to oxidize any unoxidized organic compounds in the humus material. Iron and aluminum may be precipitated and removed by the addition of a phosphate to improve the purity of the end-product.
water exctraction https://patents.google.com/patent/EP179 ... lowed%20by

couple other sources

PH extraction https://patents.google.com/patent/US4459149A/en

caustic extraction https://patents.google.com/patent/US3398186A/en

and a load of other methods https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1797190A1/ar
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Guest (Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:43 pm)

Return to “Organic Cannabis Growing”