Welcome to the organic cannabis growing section. Use this section to discuss all aspects of growing cannabis organically. Whether you are new to organic growing or wish to share your experience of growing cannabis plants in living soil, amended soil or anything. This is the section for you. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Where are the soil growers at?

Discuss organic cannabis growing
Trippster62

Where are the soil growers at?

Post by Trippster62 »

I'm looking for some mentoring on growing in soil indoors. I feel like I've taken my vegetable gardening experience as far as I can with cannabis. Looking to step up my game a little. Anything could be helpful as I haven't really paid much attention to what others were doing. Just been winging it mostly for a little over 2 yrs.
After having major setbacks this grow I've decided that it is time I start seeking advice from experienced growers that are soil people.
I've been abusing my soil from the beginning. Just throw it out after a few grows.
What can I learn about keeping soil in a pot healthy. I see all this stuff about super soils, and no till gardening. Teach an old man to grow better.
These users thanked the author Trippster62 for the post (total 7):
Mrs Beefheart (Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:56 pm) • anova.330 (Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:39 am) • GMO (Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:53 am) • MrNice (Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:01 am) • Guest (Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:19 am) • The Aspie Toker (Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:52 am) • Sage (Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:04 am)
If you reduce the amount of hash you consume in order to preserve your glass you've missed the whole point.

The hash is more important than the glass.

MrNice
Respected Member

Re: Where are the soil growers at?

Post by MrNice »

Hey Trippster62

Thers a few people here using GHO soil @DIY.Rik in terms of re using soil im sure rik can fill you in more then me

Im a soil grower aswell

Living Soil Starter Kits
https://www.greenhandorganic.com/buy-no ... arter-kits
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
anova.330 (Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:10 am) • Trippster62 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:34 pm)

BigJarGrows

Post by BigJarGrows »

For myself the best thing I did was started soil testing. I am not smart enough to diagnose a plant and when in organics if you see the issue chances are it’s a bit late. And learning how to properly water. And lastly pot size. Go with as large a pot you can as it will just make doing this easier.

Just my thoughts from a guy starting this himself and what he’s learned in the last 2 grows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author BigJarGrows for the post (total 4):
anova.330 (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:48 pm) • Guest (Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:20 am) • Greenfingers (Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:23 am) • Trippster62 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:34 pm)

Finchmad_79
Known User

Post by Finchmad_79 »

Have you looked through the grow diaries section? There is quite a few soil growers on the forum who have or had a soil grow diary
These users thanked the author Finchmad_79 for the post (total 2):
anova.330 (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:48 pm) • Trippster62 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:34 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Don't over do things,,be easy on nutes,,let it dry out on top b4 watering...all this i have learned from GR420 +++ more
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 4):
anova.330 (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:48 pm) • Guest (Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:20 am) • Trippster62 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:34 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:53 am)

Rawreefer
Grow Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Rawreefer »

Biggest problem over watering, don't over water.......
These users thanked the author Rawreefer for the post (total 3):
anova.330 (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:47 pm) • Trippster62 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:35 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:53 am)

Post by Guest »

JJ wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:04 pm
Don't over do things,,be easy on nutes,,let it dry out on top b4 watering...all this i have learned from GR420 +++ more
This is why soil suits me lol, it matches my laziness at times 😆

I don't think I'd be confident enough for a mentor yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone here to help.

Growing outdoors can be a different ball game.

I started in coco with organic amendments at 1st then moved into the GHO soil.

I would be happy to mentor alongside @Mr Nice mate....?

Team effort and all that me ole chap..... :lol:

It's all about how you build a soil. In and outdoor environment you put down good compost over already deep soil from the earths crust. You have a diversity of different animals insects and microbes.

You have to imitate this but indoors.

Don't be scared or worried about making mistakes:

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=10061

In that topic you'll see I gave up due to putting some remaining bokashi on top lol. Plus I didn't wait long enough for the soil to cool after mixing. I learned from this and moved on.

This is a good read which really put things to light for me:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13729

Look up each element. Where you'll find it available in what materials, you'll find GHO will have a lot in stock or you may even find many things around the house and/or local store/supermarket.

Do some reading, buy the biggest pot available. A 50L fitted in my .8M square tent just about. I fitted 75L in one.

Also go listen to some of Tad Husseys podcasts on the Cannabis and science one he does. This was the starting point of where I learned the knowledge. You may even have done so and sounds like you already have the skills. But I like to revert back and listen to them every now and again. Some I have done 3 times and I pick up something new every time.

Start with a decent green compost, good quality and local if you can, get a big drum or something to mix and tumble it with unless you already have one. You can use the 17 elements as a guide to your own soil recipe if you wished.

Then leave to finish any thermopholic reactions. Test for temps like you would a hot compost....

Anything you gey stuck on just ask away and tag me and Mr Nice.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
Trippster62 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:36 pm) • MrNice (Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Post by Guest »

Also it depends on what you want out of it. In one sense I wish I started in coco woth ferts as I could have yielded a lot more bud to keep for myself in stock.

Tasty buds in lower quantities, better quality over quantity then soil/living soil is the way.

If its quantities you're after I would personally think again.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
Trippster62 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:38 pm)

Trippster62

Post by Trippster62 »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:46 am
Also it depends on what you want out of it. In one sense I wish I started in coco woth ferts as I could have yielded a lot more bud to keep for myself in stock.

Tasty buds in lower quantities, better quality over quantity then soil/living soil is the way.

If its quantities you're after I would personally think again.
I'm looking for both. Quality and quantity. My son has been trying to get me to switch to coco for a while now, I keep telling him soil has better flavor. He has challenged me to hit the 1 GM per watt mark. I still need to do something more in order to reach the goal. I'm trying to find that next bump in my gpw.
My thoughts right now are leaning towards improving my soil instead of abusing it like I have been. I'll read over some of the soil diaries and see what I pick up.
Currently using 10 gal, 37.8 liter, fabric pots. Three 600w hps lights covering a 3 x 3 ft or .83 sq meters ( thank Google for the conversations). Then I have 3 240 w Led's that cover a 3 x 4 ft or .91 meters x 1.2 m. They are in a straight line 3 x 13 ft or .9 x 3.9 m.
I've only been growing again for about 2.5 yrs. Everything I thought I knew before the turn of the century had to be forgotten because most of it was just not good information.

Trippster62

Post by Trippster62 »

@DIY.Rik @Mr Nice How do you feed? I don't feel like you can build a soil that will provide nutrition for the full grow. What do you do to boost your nutrient levels over the course of the grow, particularly during flower?

Return to “Organic Cannabis Growing”