Welcome to the organic cannabis growing section. Use this section to discuss all aspects of growing cannabis organically. Whether you are new to organic growing or wish to share your experience of growing cannabis plants in living soil, amended soil or anything. This is the section for you. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Brandon Rust 2021 Soil Recipe

Discuss organic cannabis growing
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Brandon Rust 2021 Soil Recipe

Post by seymore_budz »

Bit of lime and volcanic rock dust and you sorted 👌 will up the zinc too.

https://buildasoil.com/products/rock-du ... ium-basalt
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
anova.330 (Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:26 pm) • Guest (Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

i can see why DE might be alot more stab in the dark as most of the time its not sold with a listing of mineral content. sooner stick to things with solid numbers
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
Guest (Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:38 pm) • anova.330 (Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:53 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Post by Guest »

GMO wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:26 pm
i can see why DE might be alot more stab in the dark as most of the time its not sold with a listing of mineral content. sooner stick to things with solid numbers
That makes sense GMO

Are the numbers always that close to the stated or advertised though?
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
GMO (Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:40 pm) • anova.330 (Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:53 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Post by Ancient.Soul.Grown »

This is superb post with lots and lots of awesome content.

Organics is a road i have yet to walk down.

Will defo be following along to this.

This is going to be the one.... i got a good feeling.

I have been told feelings are good :)
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post:
anova.330 (Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 pm)

anova.330
Respected Member

Post by anova.330 »

Implementing the fix
Somehow, I need to add the following to the soil (results in lbs/500ft^3).
0.2 MnSO4
0.3 ZnSO4
0.07 CuSO4
8 High Ca Lime
5 Dolomite Lime

I only rationalized this, as opposed to performing the math, by determining min and max measurement values I was comfortable with using (i.e. teaspoons and cups).

0.2 MnSO4 – basically a teaspoon (i.e. I chose this as the starting point)
0.3 ZnSO4 – basically a generous teaspoon
0.07 CuSO4 – third of a teaspoon (part / whole = .07/.2=.35 or 35%)
8 High Ca Lime – 40 teaspoons or almost a cup (8/0.2=40)
5 Dolomite Lime – 25 teaspoons or a half-cup.

I already added the dolomite as a top dressing, scratched in; after the current run, it will be good to till the lime in. I will do the same with the high Ca Lime.

As far as watering in the sulfates. Chapin sprayer (1500ml but will use 1200ml as total). Question: why water them in? Answer: my concern is penetrating the soil more fully (i.e. not just the top surface) and watering over the lime can’t hurt. Question: how much water am I comfortable with adding over a few days consecutively? Answer: all answers can vary but I chose 200mil. This small amount of water with sulfates added per above, in each of my six pots, at the end of six days results in a full dose of the recommended sulfates.
These users thanked the author anova.330 for the post (total 2):
Guest (Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:56 pm) • GMO (Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:52 pm)
#growingwitheagle #crystals #petioles #eagleproudwarriortheproject #weednerdworld
#potectDiscord

anova.330
Respected Member

Post by anova.330 »

By now all of the parts have been amended per recommendation from Logan labs. I’ve also sprayed in the first couple rounds of nematodes. So here’s my next question.

The recommendation also states that you should repeat the test in 1 to 2 years I think. I am more likely to get a test now, to see if the amendments worked, and repeat the test in two years.

That would be amazing, for a soil to last two years without amendment, or is that what’s intended? Should I be pushing certain elements during certain weeks of flower? Let me know what you think and comments down below…
Guest (Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:32 am) • GMO (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 am)

Post by Guest »

anova.330 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:59 pm
By now all of the parts have been amended per recommendation from Logan labs. I’ve also sprayed in the first couple rounds of nematodes. So here’s my next question.

The recommendation also states that you should repeat the test in 1 to 2 years I think. I am more likely to get a test now, to see if the amendments worked, and repeat the test in two years.

That would be amazing, for a soil to last two years without amendment, or is that what’s intended? Should I be pushing certain elements during certain weeks of flower? Let me know what you think and comments down below…
I have heard some say, a living soil can last for life if you look after it. Also, in one grain of sand there is enough to grow a plant, you just need to unlock it :idn: some of the facts you remember through rabbit holes 🕳

Maybe you could look at things from a different angle and perspective. A test wouldn't always show up all amendments, would it? Unlocked and bound up elements. I am no ecologist no soil scientist, but maybe you need more microbes, more of the soil web cycle from various critters.
What I mean is, there could be another 2 years worth of growing still there, you just need to get to it.

I used Ionic nutes in my last living soil as it dried out, so I chopped, dropped and left in the garden to rot down in the pot. I checked the other day and it was FULL of life and still had some fat red wriggles in there which took me back. Organic soils are more resiliant than we think, that's my take anyway.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
anova.330 (Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:35 pm) • GMO (Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:49 am)

anova.330
Respected Member

Post by anova.330 »

You bring up some good points @DIY.Rik instead of adding calcium or gypsum and trying to push it, I probably won’t do shit to the soil except for water in microbes.

Although I do like the idea of adding a layer of compost around the plant during transplant to flower. knowing me, I can’t add anything to the composter I’m going to be out of balance.
Guest (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 pm) • GMO (Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:49 am)

Post by Guest »

anova.330 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:41 pm
You bring up some good points @DIY.Rik instead of adding calcium or gypsum and trying to push it, I probably won’t do shit to the soil except for water in microbes.

Although I do like the idea of adding a layer of compost around the plant during transplant to flower. knowing me, I can’t add anything to the composter I’m going to be out of balance.
Well, I think there is a happy medium or balance to it. But I haven't grown for enough with soil to have that much experience to be honest.

Have you ever thought of using a cover crop for the last few weeks of flower, or even the last week, then turn them in for some Nitrogen fixing in there, leave to decompose and start another round...?

Maybe consider the cation exchange capacity? Add more clay for +/- charge.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
anova.330 (Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:18 pm)

anova.330
Respected Member

Post by anova.330 »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:55 pm
anova.330 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Well, I think there is a happy medium or balance to it. But I haven't grown for enough with soil to have that much experience to be honest.

Have you ever thought of using a cover crop for the last few weeks of flower, or even the last week, then turn them in for some Nitrogen fixing in there, leave to decompose and start another round...?

Maybe consider the cation exchange capacity? Add more clay for +/- charge.
I have to assume that, after adding all those amendments, the soil is balanced. I used to use cover crops, but I have not tried them in these pots yet. Until I can veg in the 10 gallon pots, I won’t use a cover crop. And the reason I cannot veg in my 10 gallon pots is because I have too many varieties running at the moment. No room.
These users thanked the author anova.330 for the post:
Guest (Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:10 pm)

Return to “Organic Cannabis Growing”