Welcome to the hydroponic cannabis growing section. There are many ways to grow cannabis in hydroponic setups. Use this section to discuss your ideas, methods and ask any questions you may have about growing cannabis in hydroponic systems. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

beginner NFT small system plant spacing strain type

Discuss growing cannabis hydroponically
MediGrower

beginner NFT small system plant spacing strain type

Post by MediGrower »

Hi im looking to set up a small first grow

the space 80 x 80 x 180
gt 205 NFT grow system (suggested 1-3 plnts)

im looking to grow indica short fast flowering varieties for medicinal reasons.

my concerns are for the space i intend to grow in would the best approach be to fill the 80 x 80

1 plant and concentrate on 1 ph/ec to stablise rather than different strains taking up different nutes or hungry plants within the same strain (seed for first run) i assume easier to manage nutes for beginner however to maximise the space growing 1 plant topping or some kind of training would be required. not easy for the beginner

or

multiple plants of same strain or strains with at least similar charecteristics growing height flowering period yield etc and run a sog with a shorter veg period would mean no plant bondage and smaller plants would mean less need for support in the NFT but root size accomodation and spacing could cause issues as could the differing strains make maintaining a stable nutrient solution within a reasonable swing more difficult

sorry for the noob Qs but didnt want to set myself up to fail and my gut says 1-2Max of same strain in that system, but at same time would like to grow enough to last to next grow as a priority and make full use of the available space but some variety would be nice if reasonably achiveable.

example of strains i have been looking at that may pair together. bubba kush-zombie kush-cheese-blue cheese-pinapple chunk-whiteW-Northern lights
open to anything short indica leaning with short flowering cycle suitable for SoG Scrog techniques

Any thoughts suggestions advice apreciated as always
These users thanked the author MediGrower for the post:
Elijah Growz (Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 am)

weedabix

Re: beginner NFT small system plant spacing strain type

Post by weedabix »

Hi Medigrower, I am on the second run in my 80x80 tent and no expert. I’d say ideally you grow only one plant and let it fill up that space. But I couldn’t resist and put more in there- currently I am growing 4, two of them in pot noodle pots. It’s pretty crammed in there and the yield per plant is probably not very high but it’s fun to try out different strains. So in the end, depending on the lights and pot sizes anything works but I think 1-2 plants is easier to manage. And don’t worry, basic training methods are not really difficult.

I hope that helps!
These users thanked the author weedabix for the post:
MediGrower (Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:29 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hey Elijahgrowz

If you're going NFT, you may want to consider running a sea of green. That means flowering early and only growing a few buds per plant. You may find it more manageable and because the bulk of the plant is quite localized, you can work with it easier as it's not throwing out branches everywhere. Faster turnovers and more manageable in tight spaces a winner winner chicken dinner in my book :)
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Elijah Growz (Mon May 18, 2020 2:09 pm) • MediGrower (Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I would run 2 in that system and tent. Same breed or preferably cuts.
I have ran 1 in a 80x80 and 8 in a 80x80 but with a small nft 2 max IMHO or your going to have rockwool/root issues. I found the wilma big 4 was a better fit for that tent size but you do loose height compared to NFT.
If your running NFT also make sure you get a net for support.

Take a look of my NFT how to thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=347
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post (total 2):
Elijah Growz (Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm) • MediGrower (Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:11 pm)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

MediGrower

Post by MediGrower »

thanks guys for your sage advice

having been there and done it your advice helps us first timers avoid a lot of pain and heartache. very much appreciated

glad im not the only one facing these small space dilema
similar to my thoughts on the tent spacing i felt 1-2 plants for the space as avg yield per M2 is 8-10z and as mentioned this is determined by M2 not number of plants.

so kind of gives the answer if running 2 nft systems i would want at most 1 plant per system or 1 tray with 1-2 max of same strain.

with the small space growers following this topic maybe a good place to ask...
what about air extraction?
I have carbon filter with fan for air removal and intend to use the passive vents for intake. also any small space running NFT with LED find issue with resevoir temps? is a cooler needed for that size resevoir or could/would an air bubbler help reduce issues that come with higher temps like less oxygen leading to pythium or similar..

nanook with regard to the rockwoo/root topic... in a small nft system such as 40x70 would you reccomend the 3" or 4" rockwool cubes? im guessing the bigger means bigger rootball but also greater water retention... any pros/cons over 3 or 4 inch?

thanks again guys

MediGrower

Post by MediGrower »

Nanook wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:23 pm
I would run 2 in that system and tent. Same breed or preferably cuts.
I have ran 1 in a 80x80 and 8 in a 80x80 but with a small nft 2 max IMHO or your going to have rockwool/root issues. I found the wilma big 4 was a better fit for that tent size but you do loose height compared to NFT.
If your running NFT also make sure you get a net for support.

Take a look of my NFT how to thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=347
i will look into the wilma for future runs :clap:
These users thanked the author MediGrower for the post:
Nanook (Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:54 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

3" rockwool imho. Large hole for root riot cubes.
Bubbler will raise water temps. Some dont bother but i had issues without a chiller. As for temps its a bit of trial and error tbh, i have never used more than a passive intake but hps in a tent that small required airhoods and a fast 6" fan. Led may be different i would imagine but i never actually tried in a small area.

MediGrower

Post by MediGrower »

thanks nanook

i ve not seen the root riot cubes looked at peat plugs and rock wool starter cubes. are the root riot better than those? just looking to buy these so great to have this info ill grab them if they are better.

oh thats good to know as i thought the increased oxygen with a bubbler was a good thing with bacteria not liking oxygen rich water. didnt realise it increased the temp though.

ok so maybe a case of running my lights and system over night and checking the tank temps then decide on a chiller.

i have system air rvk with a carbo air the ammount it pulls is above the requirement for the space

i was hoping witht the LED being a lower temp that keeping the temos low maybe that much easier and no chiller needed. but ill have to look into them. do you run the nutes through them in a cycle or a water soltution through a coil placed in the system resevoir..

thanks again

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I prefer root riots tbh, more like a sponge os hole air and water.
Get some sort of environment controller for the fan. Save wasting money on leccy :)

Return to “Hydroponic Cannabis Growing”