Welcome to the hydroponic cannabis growing section. There are many ways to grow cannabis in hydroponic setups. Use this section to discuss your ideas, methods and ask any questions you may have about growing cannabis in hydroponic systems. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Looking for advice on Nutrient Schedule

Discuss growing cannabis hydroponically
Josh
GR420 Leg End

Re: Looking for advice on Nutrient Schedule

Post by Josh »

MintyMods wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 pm
integrajosh wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:37 pm
Ok, well good luck 👍
You seem to have things figured out

And for what it's worth, you cut a clone and stick it in the dirt. High humidity and 5-7 days later you have roots
Pretty simple
It's mostly the 'dirt' I didn't want to deal with as from previous experience this is the main ground for most bugs etc.

I would kinda need a separate tent to house the mother plant no>?

Can I ask what are the main benefits from doing it via clones rather than seeds?
For cloning when I did dwc, I used jiffy pellets. They're little peat plugs that you soak in water
After you soak you stick your clones in and put in a dome, umder 24/7 light. The light can be tiny, a cfl bulb will work. You can keep them in a large cardboard box even, that's what I do
You can also keep a mother plant very tiny, bomzai mom. Keep her in a small square pot and top it when it gets too big
You shouldn't have any issues with bugs, the jiffy pellets contain no nutrients and have no smell either

The advantage to cloning would be
1. All your plants start at the same size
2. All of them will be happy in the same environment, same nutes, etc.
3. You no longer have to buy seeds of that strain
4. They are much easier to get going in a hydroponics setup than seedlings, in my experience. No worries of them damping off
5. All will have very similar stretch in flower, so let's say you do a sativa and gets massive. You might have a shorter plant next to it that's getting shaded, which equals not much bud at all
6. They will finish flowering at the same time

Just off the top of my head
These users thanked the author Josh for the post (total 2):
TTL (Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 pm) • Minty (Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

integrajosh wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:35 pm
For cloning when I did dwc, I used jiffy pellets. They're little peat plugs that you soak in water
After you soak you stick your clones in and put in a dome, umder 24/7 light. The light can be tiny, a cfl bulb will work. You can keep them in a large cardboard box even, that's what I do
You can also keep a mother plant very tiny, bomzai mom. Keep her in a small square pot and top it when it gets too big
You shouldn't have any issues with bugs, the jiffy pellets contain no nutrients and have no smell either

The advantage to cloning would be
1. All your plants start at the same size
2. All of them will be happy in the same environment, same nutes, etc.
3. You no longer have to buy seeds of that strain
4. They are much easier to get going in a hydroponics setup than seedlings, in my experience. No worries of them damping off
5. All will have very similar stretch in flower, so let's say you do a sativa and gets massive. You might have a shorter plant next to it that's getting shaded, which equals not much bud at all
6. They will finish flowering at the same time

Just off the top of my head
Thank you again for the input and I am certainly not challenging your advice or anything but I am still learning so in response to your points:-

1. What is the difference between having cuttings that will or will not root, rather than seeds that may or may not pop? (besides confidence ;O)
2. Fair point but can an average medium to suit both strains not be obtained even if it is not optimal?
3. Agreed, but until one finds a strain they like the benefits from trying different strains are still there.
4. What is damping off? Time for some Google ;o)
5. I only have two pots below dedicated DIY lights so difference in height can mostly be accommodated by my current setup and I tried to select seeds of roughly the same height. T.B.H. any bud at this point will be a plus. Mostly just looking to survive the attempt.
6. The strains I got where deliberately chosen to hopefully finish about the same time.

Stats for the seeds I plan to grow in each pot are as follows:-

This is obviously all just my plan and lessons will certainly be learned along the way so thank you again for any and all your advice.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

integrajosh wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:08 pm
https://www.growweedeasy.com/general-hy ... trio-guide

This has all the information you need. For your first grow in this set up, you need to try and keep the nutrients really simple imo. There's a chart on that link that's for dwc
Thanks again to Josh for the original link which contains a schedule specific to RDWC which I have included here for convenience:-

I created a spreadsheet to allow me to convert from the original tsp per US Gallon:-

To a more convenient (for me at least) .ml per litre:-

Which looks kinda correct but if anyone could give it a once over to check the conversion that would be appreciated.
A screenshot showing the tsp per gallon compared to the ml per litre:-

Comparing this to my original schedule shows similar results apart from my original is about twice as strong - (which is based on the manufacturers recommend dose) and this lower amount is covered in the article Josh linked

There is an obvious differences in the Cal Mag dosing but my issue is that this schedule is not suitable to Auto's? Or is it? How would you recommend I compress the 13 week schedule down to the 9 week schedule of the Auto's? Or should I just disregard the time quoted for the Auto's as they will take longer in reality?

After following along with your video chats I seem to be regretting my purchase of the Auto's so will certainly be trying alternatives going forward but for now I still kinda want to progress with what I currently have so any feedback is most welcome.

Cheers Guys.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

MintyMods wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:50 pm
Hi Guys,

I am just trying to come up with a Nutrient Schedule for my first RDWC grow and wanted to check what you all think as I have no idea if this is correct or not?

Appreciate every grow is different etc so to give you as much info as possible my setup will be as follows:-

* Total water capacity is I think approx 50 litres of R.O. water but still need to measure this somehow...
* 84 Litre backup water tank for weekly Res changes
* @approx 45L Res and two IWS Oxy Pots which are @approx 19 litres each which is approx 83 litres on paper but with water levels, equipment in the pots such as drainage pumps, 200mm Airstones, growing media, etc. So have approximated it down to about 50 litres for now.
* Recirculating pump from the Res to the bottom of each Oxy Pot with the return gravity feed back to the Res.

The Nutrient schedule I have got so far is as follows (based on measurements of ml for one litres):-

which I approximate to be as follows per 50 litres:-

Would appreciate if anyone can give it the once over to make sure there is nothing blatantly wrong.

Was also looking for some advice in terms of should I start with like a 50% mixture and see how the plants adapt prior to raising the dosing?

Thanks in advance for any guidance with this.

P.S. Been listening to your "Friday Night Hangout" in the background and loving it. Definitely going to be tuning in again for that.
theres no such thing in reality bach.......as no 2 environments are the same. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:
TTL (Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:19 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

captain beefheart wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:16 pm
theres no such thing in reality bach.......as no 2 environments are the same. :oik!:
True that, guess the plan is to go with something and quickly adjust?

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

MintyMods wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 pm
captain beefheart wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:16 pm
True that, guess the plan is to go with something and quickly adjust?
rule to thumb imo is.....if your in soil + the dope needs watering daily which imo it should do.... is feed 3 times a week or every other watering :oik!: coco / soiless / water ... needs constant feeds..but the biggest bit of advice i can give is read the plants :oik!: if its green + healthy it most probably getting all it needs :oik!: also a slightly underfed plant will out do a over fed 1 anyday.....remember this !!! :oik!: ooops + good luck but ffs dont listen to feed charts or the bottle,go in light + build it up :oik!:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:
Minty (Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:55 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

captain beefheart wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:58 pm
the biggest bit of advice i can give is read the plants :oik!: if its green + healthy it most probably getting all it needs :oik!: also a slightly underfed plant will out do a over fed 1 anyday
Perfect advice Captain, thank you for that.

Gonna start well under as you suggest and move it up as required. I am looking more to keep it alive for this 1st attempt rather than to push it. Slow and steady hopefully but who knows what will happen as this is my first time using water and mistakes are sure to be made.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hey Minty,

You've had some great advice so far :) my advice would be work with PPM when using the flora trio. PPM will tell you the TDS when mixing each component. Like cap said, only use the schedule as a rough guide and go by the plants.

If you're pure RO, first buffer the water with CaMg to around 150-200ppm, then run your micro slightly higher than the guide. RO has 0 trace elements in so you need to provide a little more. This is why we see more of the rare micro deficiencies like Zinc etc. Running the micro a smidge higher compensates for that. The trouble is you won't ever be able to fine tune your grow like the big commercial guys because we don't have things like tissue test analysis etc so we're always in the dark to a degree.

Watch the plants like a hawk :) I've found in RO a small issue can stay hidden for a while and escalate quickly. It's not the same as using tap water and is much more unpredictable.

I think the GH trio is an awesome choice of nutrients fot your set btw. I'm looking forward to seeing thr results. Good luck bud!

A good point of reference below.

Seedling: 600ppm even ratio of g/b/m
Early veg: 800-900ppm even ratio of g/b/m
Late veg early flower: 900-100ppm raise the grow a little to achieve the ppm increase.
Heavy flowering: 1000-1200ppm lower the g and raise the b
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
TTL (Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:59 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

grumpygrower wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:10 am
A good point of reference below.

Seedling: 600ppm even ratio of g/b/m
Early veg: 800-900ppm even ratio of g/b/m
Late veg early flower: 900-100ppm raise the grow a little to achieve the ppm increase.
Heavy flowering: 1000-1200ppm lower the g and raise the b
Hi Grumpy,

Thank you for the advice and especially the PPM to Flora references, much appreciated.

Looks like I won't be 'automating' the dosing anytime soon. Going to need a load of grows before getting comfortable enough to be able to even consider 'coding' a nutrient schedule. It's a shame the nutrients have to be added in a specific order otherwise I could have just auto-dosed a small ratio of each until reaching the desired PPM level.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Na it shouldn't be two hard to code. The ratio won't change much. You'd just have to have fixed modes and use a ratio for each stage of growth. Apart from that, not much will change. You could do the preliminary work then maybe come up with some DSL to describe a recipe! That way your code is relatively static and all you need to do is feed it something like a json/yaml file with a load of parameters and away it goes.

Return to “Hydroponic Cannabis Growing”